General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord, crazy door locks & seek tips on defrost.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Red face 92 Accord, crazy door locks & seek tips on defrost.

Well my second quest in using this forum.
1st topic brought me here was none of my signals work,turn or hazards, pinned it down to most likely relay needs to be replaced.
My ex agrees, but doesn't seem to be doing anything to help.
He is a Acura tech these days , so basically still Honda, has been over 20+ years now, and mechanic for 35+ years now.
Fixed my brakes, and said he didn't have too.
I said, " no u didn't but u could do that or you could attend my funeral".
Which is why i finally got him to fix them, after several times almost got creamed in traffic with brakes failing.
He could have two unhappy children age 14 and and eldest turning 19 today..
Sorry to air dirty laundry..but i wouldn't be in this forum, if he were helping me.
So i need to get help off the internet instead.
Back to the door locks, i discovered my key wont open any of the locked doors , lucky had window cracked and got in with a hanger.
So now i do not lock the doors. Not that does much as even unlocked often can't get in either??
Do not have remote.
Haven't had it several years.
Even 15 yeas ago when i did have remote, the car locked itself while i had keys in ignition, with car running.
So now I always make sure drivers side window is open ( for now i live on farm with a bunch of horses) so i have to get in and out and lock gates, so i usually leave the motor running of course because im getting right back in.
But im so paranoid of getting locked out, so like i stated, I leave the window open, so as to be able to get back into the vehicle.
Also, i keep windows open, because since the signals don't work , I have to use hand signals... I guess that's ok in the day light.
I dont drive at night, one i cant see well at night. t
Two the signals not working and that can could put me in danger.
3rd reason to keep window open, ac dont work and wont hold Freon, and unless its cold enough outside, I can not defrost my windows which makes it very difficult to drive in the rain or fog.
I live in the N GA mountains, and have a wide variety of temps ranging to hot during summer to ice cold to in the winter.
so when its in the mid range like upper 50s, low 60s and raining or drizzle , very difficult to defrost window properly, so keeping the window open to catch enough draft from driving speed to help defrost the windshield so i can see.
I keep paper towels in car with me to continuously wipe condensation off the inside of the windshield. ( unless anyone has a tip on how to defrost my windows in this type of weather and temps with out a working ac, haven't researched that yet, but will, I need all the help I can get so i dont get killed in this car..
Once again back to the locks.
Often the locks will lock while im driving, sometimes probably because im accidentally hitting the main door switch with my arm, but occasionally it does it on its own ( i am guessing some type of regulator problem? Electrical??)
There have been times where I could not get out of car as the door would not open, even in an unlocked position of the door switch ( I dont believe there are a child safety switches on this car, and besides i think that if they're were they would only be on the rear doors not the front ones, with which im having problems with.
My daughter could not get out the passenger door and had to climb out the drivers side.
Ex witnessed me not being able to get in my drivers door last week in open position, i had to climb through the passengers door to get in running car as I dropping my daughter off, thank God it opened.
I feel like im driving in a death trap..
I guess im looking to see what the problem really is as i am not a mechanic,and hope there are some members who are possibly mechanics, or members more adept at what is going on with the vehicle.
Not that I can fix it right now, but at least would know what the problem is
What I really just need to do is get different more mechanically sound Honda, but that's not an option yet.
If i am going to try and get another Honda with no problems I really dont want to dump much money in this 92 Accord.
Its also not athletically well either, looks real ragid and rough, kinda like it runs..
So i guess im looking for opinions on whats going on, so i wont be totally in the dark as to what going on.
Also could the signals have any bearing on the door locks as well, being possibly electrical, tho the fuses are fine.
And maybe any ideas or tips as to keep windshield clear in inclement weather so i can see better to drive, with out having a working ac??
sorry for long post, I tend to get too detailed, adhd..
Thanks in advance for any thoughts , advice or suggestions..

Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Kind of hard to read everything you wrote. I'll respond to some issues in separate posts.

Issue: No turn signal or hazard lights.

First check the fuses.
  • Under the driver's side dash, your car has an auxiliary fuse holder. Check the 7.5A fuse in the auxiliary fuse holder to see if it is blown. You may have spare fuses in the under dash fuse box (see image for locations), only use the same amperage fuse. Do not use a higher amperage fuse.
  • Under the hood, there is another fuse box, check if the No. 20 (10A) fuse is blown.
If fuses are okay, can be a problem with the hazard switch or the turn signal/hazard relay. Maybe even wiring or a connection problem.

The turn signal/hazard relay is located in the under dash fuse/relay box. The relay can be tested if you have testing equipment.

Attached Thumbnails 92 Accord, crazy door locks & seek tips on defrost.-under-dash-fuse-box.jpg   92 Accord, crazy door locks & seek tips on defrost.-under-dash-fuses.jpg   92 Accord, crazy door locks & seek tips on defrost.-under-hood-fuse-box.jpg   92 Accord, crazy door locks & seek tips on defrost.-number-20-fuse.jpg   92 Accord, crazy door locks & seek tips on defrost.-turn-signal-hazard-relay.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-20-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Issue - Defogging Windows

Since your A/C doesn't work, in certain conditions, it will be hard to quickly defog all your windows (e.g., side windows, front, rear).

You can try applying an interior glass treatment to all the windows, such as Rain-X Anti-Fog, etc.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Issue: Door locks

Door locks can be due to problem with one or more of the following:
  • Not being able to open an unlocked door – faulty door latch
  • Door automatically locking for no reason - faulty power door lock control unit (located behind driver’s door panel), and/or the individual actuators.
The car does have child safety door locks in the rear; however, it would not be causing your issues for the front doors.

I can’t verify whether your car had the automatic door locking feature at speed. On some years Hondas with automatic transmission, the doors will lock automatically after a certain speed. However, whether your car has this feature or not, this doesn't sound like your issue.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Another possibility if you're not able to open an unlocked door:
  • misadjusted door
  • weatherstripping folded over when opening door or sticking

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A93-005.pdf (169.9 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-20-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Issue - Defogging Windows

Since your A/C doesn't work, in certain conditions, it will be hard to quickly defog all your windows (e.g., side windows, front, rear).

You can try applying an interior glass treatment to all the windows, such as Rain-X Anti-Fog, etc.
Without AC, you must have Fresh Air position selected to get any defrost action. I learned this on my first foreign auto (78 Toyota Celica belonging to wife).

good luck

Old 11-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Thank you red bull and Texas Honda, I do appreciate you taking the time to suggest and present thoughts on what may be occurring with my accord, giving me at least a starting point.
Red bull , I apologize for my posting being difficult to read.
Thank you for breaking it down in separate posts, making it easier for me to understand.
I will give the anti fog treatment to the windows a try and see if that helps me out some.
Now the locks are real tricky, Redbull that does seem to make some sense to me as to why the locks may lock them selves after a certain speed.
Not being a mechanic with limited knowledge, that would not have occurred to me.
So i am thankful for this forum to give me opinions, to keep me some what in the know of potential situations that may be of cause, helping me understand more of what I may be experiencing with my 92 Accord, giving me at the very least some insight.
So as i have already been doing but will continue, is to periodically make sure as I am driving down the hwy at higher speeds as we have some speed limits set at 65-70, is to often double check and make sure they are in the unlocked position.
Tho as I mentioned, being unlocked isnt always a gaurantee that i will be able to open the door.
So it seems from your suggestions Redbull is that I have multiple problems going on with the vehicle.
Not just one quick fix.
Being that as you stated the latches may be faulty and /or control unit needs to be replaced.
I am thankful for these possible scenarios.
Also again Texas Honda I appreciate your tip on the fresh air position, which i a have already been doing, oddly enough I at one point owned a Toyota Celica my self, 76.
And it was quirky as well, 9 times out of ten to start the car i had to be on an incline and it wouldn't start unless i had it in 2nd gear going down hill.
My first experience with foreign vehicle was a 73 Mazda rotary engine, and it too was slap full of problems. Mainly transmission, as I had to daily put transmission fluid in it.
Despite all that, I am still a Honda enthusiast, I know they are great vehicles, especially the the older models, and my next vehicle will continue to be a Honda, likely another Accord or CRV, which I briefly had for a while.
Wasn't impressed with the gas mileage on it tho, but it drove well, and i like the way they look, again the older models.
Anyways thanks again for your input, greatly appreciated...

Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

not even trying to read OP posts, but defrosting requires hot air and defogging
needs flow-thru air setting in addition. So car engine's gotta be warm/hot first before you get in and drive off.
Start it and go back inside for 5-10 minutes to get your lunch together and you should be visibility OK.