General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord DX; what O rings needed in refrig retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 Accord DX; what O rings needed in refrig retrofit?

Hi!
I got the General Tso (92 Accord DX) out of the shop for an unrelated issue. Five years ago I retrofit the refrigerant using R134 and new Schraders on the high and low. I put in a combination refrigerant and oil. But I am having leaks.

I have not pinpointed the leaking but I didn't replace the O-rings as directed. Which O-rings need replacement?

Oh and have you heard of anyone running a water hose up the evaporator drain hose and flushing the gunk off the evaporator? I had a stink issue and hate to yank the evap (meaning someone needs to be paid to vacuum out the R134.

Thanks
KT

Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

If you must replace o-rings, then the system needs to be evacuated anyway.

Inspect all connections throughout the a/c system. If there is a leak, there will be oil mixed with dirt around the connection. Inspect around the compressor spinning shaft for signs of refrigerant oil leaking as well. I would replace all of the o-rings, since the system is going to be evacuated.

For the evaporator, you can remove the evaporator from the plastic housing. Remove the expansion valve and let it soak in something that disinfects like Lysol and water solution. Clean the drain tube out as well. I would probably replace the Styrofoam inside the evaporator.

If you decide not to evacuate the system, use a coat hanger to clean any debris out of the evaporator drain tube. Remove the glove box, set the air in the car to recirculate, and spray lysol into the intake of the blower. That should kill any mold and bacteria growing in there.