General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord EX ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 Accord EX ABS Light

Hey everyone, My ABS light is on and I guess this is a common problem with my gen Accord. Anyways, I took it to my local Honda dealer and they said I need a new pump assy and POSS a new modulator. I have searched around and couldnt find any clear concise answers on my questions....

1) I replaced the accumulator & pump assy with a used one from a local junkyard. What I want to know, is there an actual separate modulator somewhere else under the engine bay? ABS light still comes on after 20-30 seconds of starting to drive even after replacing with used part.

2) With the absolute INSANE price to fix this issue, is it even really worth fixing JUST to have ABS?? The car is in GREAT shape for the year and that is the only thing wrong with it.

3) What is the best way to disable the ABS light...pull the bulb from the cluster or pull the plug from the ABS computer? Where is the ABS computer at on this car?

Usually I am not the kind of person to just not fix something but damn I cant justify possible spending over 2k (of which I DO NOT have) just to restore ABS functionality to my car. That is what the dealer told me it would be to have the pump & modulator assy both replaced. I am the kind of person that gets my maintenance done either just on or before time to get it done.

Any comments and assistance would be GREATLY appreciated on this!!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Lightbulb

Hi there,

If air is trapped inside the ABS modulator, the maintenance bleeder screw can also be used to vent air. That light comes on steady. Attempting to troubleshoot, I found the lead power wires going to the ABS. One (black) is a ground. Two red wires are also present. One is from the battery and runs hot all the time. The other I'm not sure about, but isn't running hot ever aparently. But if there is a lot of air inside the solenoid valves, the system will have to be bled using the special Honda ABS tester tool to cycle the solenoids. If you don't have this tool, another method is to manually cycle the solenoids while bleeding the system with a pressure bleeder. To do this, you need a wiring diagram to figure out which terminals on the wiring connector can be jumped to cycle each solenoid one by one.

Regards,
Anthony

Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

What is the actual code the abs is giving?

Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is a separate pump and modulator parts. Check Majestic Honda parts online for images.

Plenty of used parts at very low prices on car-part.com.

As PM requests, the code is best indicator of problem.

good luck

Old 11-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I haven't checked for codes as of yet but the car does the exact same thing as it did before replacement. I start driving and 10-20 sec later i hear a click in the dash and there's the ABS light coming on. When my dad put this in for me he bled everything and my brakes work great.

I looked up the pump/mod assy on majestic Honda and they are showing it as practically all one unit with a reservior on top of it and for a really insane price!! I looked for just the modulator and they didnt have it listed, except where the pump and reservior are concerned.

This is turning into a complete nightmare!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need to look again on Majestic Honda parts. Check the Accumulator and Modulator parts.

Get code/s for some help.

good luck

Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM

one of your sensor is broken if your light comes 5-20 seconds after you pull it out of the driveway and start driving.. the relay will trigger than not all 4 wheels are getting the same speed.

this is the issue im having trouble right now. i haven't had the time to replace mine yet. it gave me the error that read rear driver abs broken

Old 11-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Checking the ABS codes takes about five minutes the first time you do this. Don't assume anything right now.

In the common diy thread, there is a link to checking engine codes. You do the same procedure, except count the abs light flashes.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you all for your welcome. I appreciate and nice to meet you. Hope to see you around.

Anthony