General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty starting after New Battery Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Default Difficulty starting after New Battery Installation

I have a 2008 Honda Accord with 58,000 miles, I recently had a new battery installed, and since then I have had trouble starting it.

The problem is that when I turn on the ignition, nothing happens.... I turn it off and wait 15 seconds and try again. I have to repeat this 3 or 4 times before the car will start.

They tell me at the garage that after I partially turn on the ignition, wait until the lights come on the dashboard, and then turn the ignition all the way for 7-8 seconds and then turn off and then repeat as necessary until it starts.

I never encountered this problem since I have had the car.

What ever happened to just turn the key to start and be on my merry way?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a V6 or 4 cylinder? Do you know what battery size was installed and the CCA (cold cranking amps) of the new battery?

Try this, disconnect the battery cables (negative cable first for safety). Touch the two battery cables together for about 5 minutes to discharge any residual power remaining in electrical components (e.g, capacitors, etc.). Make sure not to touch the battery terminals (posts) while doing this. This will act as a reset.

Reconnect the battery terminals, positive side first, then negative last.

Enter your radio security code to enable the radio again.

Edit: For additional clarification, disconnect both battery cables while doing this and don't have them touch the battery posts.

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-18-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimB4
I have a 2008 Honda Accord with 58,000 miles, I recently had a new battery installed, and since then I have had trouble starting it.
d*mn, I'd take it back to the garage pronto and have them demonstrate to me how to start it from putting the key in ... step #1.

FWIW, amazing that an OEM battery should need replacement after only 3 yrs., I'd a figured 5 yrs minimum, minimum life.
Even money bet someone sold you a new battery and screwed up your car in the installation. Bet wasn't the dealer, Sears or any reputable place...

luck

Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It may have been the starter was the problem that got the battery replaced mistakenly. Does starter "click" when you turn to start or silence?

good luck

Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UhOh
d*mn, I'd take it back to the garage pronto and have them demonstrate to me how to start it from putting the key in ... step #1.

FWIW, amazing that an OEM battery should need replacement after only 3 yrs., I'd a figured 5 yrs minimum, minimum life.
Even money bet someone sold you a new battery and screwed up your car in the installation. Bet wasn't the dealer, Sears or any reputable place...

luck
It's not unusual for the 8th generation Accords with the 4 cylinder engines for replacement around the 3 year mark, Honda installed small size OEM batteries which did not have too much CCA. There are already many people that changed their batteries on their 8th gen Accord; many even switched to the larger battery size which are placed in the V6.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

When you say you turn the key and nothing happens, do the interior lights turn on? Radio work? Or is everything electrical in the car dead?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
When you say you turn the key and nothing happens, do the interior lights turn on? Radio work? Or is everything electrical in the car dead?
Yes, all the interior lights work, as well as the radio and heater. The battery was purchased at the Honda garage where the car was purchased.

Also, I had a typo in my original post.... the car is 5 years old and not 3. I had put the year of purchase of our 2nd car by mistake.

Since my post, I have an appointment at the Honda Dealer on Monday morning.

If there are any additional ideas, I would like to hear them, so that I could probably ask the Service manager to check...

Thanks,

Jim

Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Hello there,
Birchwood Honda told me that if I don't drive my car at least every 3 days then the battery will die. The Battery CCA is what everyone is talking about and is how many amps a battery is able to deliver for 30 seconds at minus 17.7 degrees Celsius. @ that temp a 12 volt battery will hold a 7.2 volts. With out testing of the battery we wouldn't know the condition of the battery. It just might be to cold outside for that battery to work and I recommend at this point and with the info given to try a heater to keep the battery from freezing.
Regards,
Anthony

Old 11-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Anthony,

Your dealership is lying to you. The battery should be able to hold enough of a charge to last for weeks or possibly month(s) to start the car.