General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord EX Maddening Bogging

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Default 92 Accord EX Maddening Bogging

Hate to beat a dead horse, but was hoping for a plan of attack before I decide to sell this car as is.

Have had bogging issue on and off for a couple of years since engine was supposedly rebuilt. I say supposedly because I have a feeling the mechanic who "rebuilt" the engine may have dropped in a Japanese import instead of actually rebuilding it (based on my current mechanic's statement after changing water pump that the timing/belt side of engine appeared to have an extra pulley that he has never seen on an accord of this year). Engine is stamped 22A6 (no F - weird?). Anyway to tell if it's an import?

Anyway, I have cleaned the EGR ports (on vehicle), replaced the EGR valve, cap and rotor, ICM. Checked main relay for broken solder joints, but found none - plus car doesn't die at all, just bogs at ~2500 rpm. It's been awhile, but I think I checked and cleaned the MAP sensor and cleaned the IAC.

Hasn't been driven for awhile until last night. Bogged like a mad man for a bit, then all of sudden was running smooth as a baby's butt, but know it will happen again. Makes me want to attempt one more time to fix the problem before I dump it.

Oh, and no check engine light.

Any help constructing a plan of attack would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Try disabling the EGR valve by plugging the vacuum line to the EGR. This may set ECU code 12, but if the bogging is cured you know the reason is uneven distribution of EG to the EGR ports in the manifold.

If no change, the bogging may be due to intake manifold leak allowing one or more cylinders to leak. Suggest checking carefully for intake leaks or vacuum leaks (vacuum boost, PCV, etc) by spraying throttle body cleaner around the intake manifold and throttle body seams listening for a change in engine speed.

good luck

Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Try disabling the EGR valve by plugging the vacuum line to the EGR. This may set ECU code 12, but if the bogging is cured you know the reason is uneven distribution of EG to the EGR ports in the manifold.

If no change, the bogging may be due to intake manifold leak allowing one or more cylinders to leak. Suggest checking carefully for intake leaks or vacuum leaks (vacuum boost, PCV, etc) by spraying throttle body cleaner around the intake manifold and throttle body seams listening for a change in engine speed.

good luck
Thanks, TH. I'll give it a shot as soon as I get the opportunity and then I'll report back.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 PM

Be willing to bet it is the 02 sensor. Happened with mine (same car you have), I changed the sensor and no more problems. Hope this helps.