General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 accord will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Default 92 accord will not start

1992 Honda Accord Wagon 170,000

Three weeks ago, after sitting in the driveway for a year, I started it up, after replacing the battery. Then I had the oil changed.

Then a week ago, I noticed it didn't start the first try.

Then two days ago, after starting on the second try, it drove fine for mile and sputtered out, shuddered and died on the side of the road.

Yesterday – after checking tank for gas and ensuring gas cap was loose enough so it was not causing a vacume in the tank, and putting car on level ground, I replaced the air filter.

Today – I successfully tested the following:
spark to a plug
fuel pump running by listening for sound
fuel running out by loosening a fuel rail bolt on the driver's side of the fuel rail

I removed the hose that connects from the throttle air filter to the throttle body and inspected the intake side of the flapper inside the throttle body and found no debris. I did this because squirrels had nested on the intake side of the air filter and chewed away some holes in the filter on the intake side.

Then I removed and replaced the fuel filter – a quick check revealed no debris in the fuel filter and no apparent contamination.

Then I removed the cruise control relay under the dash so I could remove the main relay. Part number RZ0088.

Then I checked and found that each of the four spark plugs were sitting in oil. Not sure where the oil came from.

After each activity I tried to start the car. It cranks and sounds like it is getting fuel, fires and starts to turn over, but does not start.

1. Is this spark plug oil dowsing preventing the starting? Is the oil dowsing another serious problem that I must need to deal with after I get the car started?
  2. Should I replace the main relay, or am I on the wrong track?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

If you hear the fuel pump turn on, then the main relay should be doing its job.

Can you get the car to start by slowly turning the key back to the II position after the car kind of fires?

To fix the oil problem, get a valve cover gasket set (there is a writeup about it in the main DIY section) and some RTV grey. The Fel-Pro gaskets are good aftermarket IMO and come with the upper seals. Pay attention to which side the upper seals get installed, because I almost installed them the wrong way.

Does the check engine light stay turned on? Have you checked for any error codes?