General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93' Accord does not want to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:35 PM
OldFox
Unregistered
Default 93' Accord does not want to start

Greetings to all,
I have a 93' Accord. It has a 177K Km on its odometer. It runs very smoothly and normally starts with one engine crank.
I started having the first starting problem about a month ago.
The engine cranks but would not start.
After excessive cranking it started but with a very rough idle then the idle went back to normal within 20 sec, and since then the car starts with one crank as normal.
Yesterday morning it did not start again. I pulled out one of the ignition wires and held it close to the engine and there was a spark when my son cranked the engine.
Excessive cranking did not work this time. I added the gasline antifreeze in case the fuel got frozen eventhough the temp is not that cold (~ +2 C), but that did not help.
When I switch on the ingnition without cranking, I can hear the fuel pump running for a couple of seconds.
No warning/engine check lights are showing on the dashboard.
Any guidance.

Thanks,

OldFox

Old 12-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Default RE: 93' Accord does not want to start

Will the spark jump a .40 thousands gap, because if not the coil could be weak. When it starts is there a lot of black smoke out the exhaust pipe? If there is you might have a leaking injector which is flooding the cylinder. I would look at your plugs before you start it in the morning. Another thing you can try if flooding is the problem you can hold the gas pedal on the floor on a fuel injected car and you will not get any gas to the cylinder which will alllow the plug to dry off and then let go of the petal and see if it starts. On the other end of the spectrum I would also check the fuel pressure to make sure you are getting enough fuel.