General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 - Strange CEL Condition

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Default 92 - Strange CEL Condition

Hi guys.

I have a 92 EX that has a strange CEL issue. I pulled the head, due to a broken timing belt. It was reconditioned by a good local shop. As part of that work, I also replaced the distributor, cap and rotor, plugs, plug wires, water pump and related shaft seals, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. After getting everything back together, the car started right up and ran fine for about 200 miles. Then, I started having the classic 1800-2200 RPM hesitation problem. I ran some sea foam through the engine and that didn't do much for me. I pulled the plugs on the intake runners about 1 week ago and the EGR ports were clogged. I cleaned all of that out. I had a couple more instances of stumbling, but that has seemed to clear. I've driven about 150 miles with no more stumble.

Here's the strange part. I've had no cel until last weekend. After the stumble cleared, I now have a phanton cel. I also have the ABS light lit, and that has been the case for a couple of years. Prior to the cel, I shorted the blue plug and the ABS light flashed a code 48 at me. Now, when I short the plug, the ABS light flashes 48 and that's it. The cel does not flash at all. When the plug is shorted and I turn the ignition to on, the cel comes on solid and stays that way.

During normal driving, I may go 10 miles or up to 35 or 40 before the cel comes on. If I turn the ignition off and back on, the light clears. Most of my miles are highway and the light seems to come on at any time. Not under hard acceleration or during stopping or anything out of the ordinary. I checked all fluids last night and everything is good there.

I've done a lot of research on this forum, but haven't seen anything quite like this. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Mark.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

The 4-8 abs code is for the rear driver's side sensor. You can check the resistance across the pins of the electrical connector and it should be between 600 and 900 ohms. If not, replace.

As for the CEL, that is a strange problem. You might have an ECU problem. I hate to have you throw parts at your car, because a bad ECU is rare, but it can happen. You can check that the pins on the ECU and the connectors aren't loose.

Also, clean up all of your grounds and all battery cable ends, then make sure they are secure. There is a ground under the thermostat or distributor that you may have forgotten?