General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 accord se temperature control cable

Old 01-29-2008, 07:12 PM
twcinnh
Unregistered
Default 93 accord se temperature control cable

I have a 1993 Accord SE. The temperature control dial gets stuck and won't move into the heat area. I have put my hand behind the glove box and feel a cable which seems to get stuck. (There is also a thud type of sound when moving the termperature dial into the heat (red) area when it seems to bind.

How do I identify where the problem is? Can the glove box come out, or do I have to take the entire dash out?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've seen suggestions for similar problems, but no solutions for this model.

Regards,

Tom

Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
twcinnh
Unregistered
Default RE: 93 accord se temperature control cable

I got the glove box off the console and saw where the cable from the heater temperature dial connects to another cable, just on the left side of the glove box. Pushing on this other cable moved the temperature dial into the hot area, but it resists now when going back to cold although I suspect I can do it from there. Since it's winter I left it where it now is.

Therefore, I suspect the problem is with this other cable. Any suggestions where this cable goes and what it may be getting hung up on?

My head is too big to get under the dash to look.

Tom

Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 PM

Welcome to the Honda Accord HeaterAssociation (HAHA).

See if either of these ring a bell:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Bro.../m_7352/tm.htm

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Cau...m_45686/tm.htm

Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 PM
twcinnh
Unregistered

Right now I'm happy to have the thing blowing heat. I'm going to leave it as is and wait for some warmer weather. The 'sticky' compound sounds interesting, and I'll see how it is in a couple of months.

Thanks,

Tom