General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'93 Accord Tranny Slow to Shift When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '93 Accord Tranny Slow to Shift When Cold

'93 Accord, 118K, Auto, transmission has always made 'clunks' when shifting into R and D.

For the last 2 days, it's been quite cold (less than 15 degrees F). When I first start the car, let it warm up for a minute or so, and then shift to drive, it sounds like a normal shift. But when I accelerated, the car didn't move for ~3 seconds --almost as though the tires had been frozen into a puddle. Then, it catches and it drives perfectly.

I pulled over after this happened and tried to get to replicate it. That is, I put the car into P and then shifted into D. It shifted like normal and I was able to drive away immediately.

The only thing that has changed is that the 'clunking' noise is louder now when shifting into R or D when the car is cold. After it has warmed up it's back to normal.

I checked the fluid after the car was warm and it was at the proper level, was a nice orange, but had some bubbles visible on the dipstick and in the reservoir.

I'm going to change the fluid this weekend, but I'm curious what y'all think.

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You're probably doing the only thing possible to improve cold shifting, change the fluid. Suggest using the new Honda ATF.

A couple of AT trans codes don't set the D4 light flashing, so you might short the service check connector and see if any codes are set.

There are additives which claim to improve shifting, etc, but I don't have any that I've used.

good luck