General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord, UK Spec Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:45 AM
hofmeister
Unregistered
Default 93 Accord, UK Spec Starting Problems

Am a new member to the Forum and need your help.

I have got a 93 Accord 2.0LS and on first start, i.e. turn key, i hear buzzing noise from the fuel pump and click from the Main Relay and when I turn ignition the car starts, but immediately shutsoff and when i try to turn the key again i don't hear a buzzing noise from the fuel pump nor a click from the main relay and the engine will turn over like crazy.

If i let it sit for a couple of mins and try start it then the fuel pump buzzes again and the main relay clicks and the car starts.

the problem seems to happen randomly and everytime i take it to the garage they can't seem to find the problem as the car seems to start fine. Diagnostics can't seem to pinpoint the problem.

Just a couple of month ago i have had a new distributor fitted as it just shutdown while i was driving and started having misfirings

I noticed Barryl (post 4/28/2006) had posted something similar but not quite the same problem i am having

Can you help? Thanks in advance

Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 93 Accord, UK Spec Starting Problems

Have you checked the main relay for cracked solder joints?

Old 05-24-2006, 12:08 PM

hello. Hof........First of all i want tio welcome you to our forum

as for the problem you are experiencing,, on top of Chio suggestion ,,if car start and dies immediately
it could also be the electrical part of the ignition switch,,,,
One thing i might suggest is,, take it to the shop and have them remove the main relay and chk all the solderings , it is a very common problem with hondas, if they see any cracks , either have them replace it or resolder the old relay ,,
one other thing you can do to verify , if it is lack of fuel is .. go to our DIY. i wrote a little post on diagnosing it car won't start because lack of fuel. If you fellow the directions and car starts ,, than most likely it is a faulty main relay ..

Old 05-26-2006, 06:21 AM
hofmeister
Unregistered

Chiovnidca & Deserthonda thanks for your responses, much appreciated

Currently having a look at the main relay. exterior looks very old and when i was taking it out it was very and i mean very hot... had to use gloves.... i do not think this is normal in the first instance. Anyways got someone looking at this currently, also checked how much a new one costs. Was quoted £63 approx. US$120. Is that not a little steep for such a small part???? I hope it can still be soldered.

My feeling its beyond that.... Any chance a damaged Main Relay could have caused any other problems i.e. damaged the fuel pump etc???

deserthonda, i will need to get someone to have a look at the electrical part of the ignition switch, I personally am not so familiar with electrics and don't want to attempt just incase i wreck more than repair. I have to say i have never had any electrical issues before and the ignition has always been perfect, but with this car age i guess anything is possible.

I will have a look at the DIY section and try diagnose if there is a fuel issue.

will attempt one at a time... Main Relay is currently being looked at

Old 05-26-2006, 09:11 AM

dont worry too much about the ignition just yet. its probably just the main relay. 120 bucks is a lot.