General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord won't come out of park

Old 11-13-2007, 07:14 PM
mickid86
Unregistered
Default 93 Accord won't come out of park

I have a 93 Accord with auto(of course) Before anyone screams at me, I did read the diy section on this. My horn does work, the brake lights also work. I have removed the console, and can see the solenoid working when I step on the brake pedal. The shifter will come out of park when I push (hard) the shifter toward the dash. All other gears feel normal, to put it back in park, the shifter needs to be pushed really hard toward the dash. I have disconnected the shifter cable, and the shifter itself seems to function properly. I tried adjusting the cable, and that helped, but then the transmission gears did not seem to align with the notches in the shifter. So my guess would be the shifter cable, or transmission? Are there more adjustments? Any ideas would be welcomed!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 Accord won't come out of park

There is a procedure to adjust the shift lock solenoid in my 95 shop manual.

If the solenoid closes and there isn't enough clearance the shifter will still get stuck. I can't find a procdure in the 91 manual that you can download from the DIY section. There is a manual for a 94 in the ACC 5th gen thread in the DIY that might be close enough to your 93.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Clean and adjust the shift possition switch on the left side of the gear shift assembly. The "P" light on the dash should be on when the shifter is in park.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

Clean and adjust the shift possition switch on the left side of the gear shift assembly. The "P" light on the dash should be on when the shifter is in park.
do not even bother to clean it ,, i had 2 of them go bad on me, removed them, cleaned them but it did not help, as soon as i replaced it,it worked normally .....
But like Chio said , a good indication of that position switch going bad is also that the P LITE on the dash will not lite up , then if you play with the shifter lever and push it a bit more and hard toward the dash the P lite will come on .
Also both switched were acting up as weather was getting colder ..

Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 AM
mickid86
Unregistered

Thanks for the tips,I will try them when I get home from school today. The solenoid seems to be working fine, giving good clearance. I wonder if it is the switch, because the shifter acts normal when I pull the pin holding the shifter cable, and all the gear lights on the dash work correctly. It is like the shifter cable won't go in far enough, is there any adjustment on the transmission? Or am I missing something simple?
Thanks again for the help, Michelle