General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 a cord transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
macdadflex
Unregistered
Default 93 a cord transmission problem

hey any help would greatly appreciated. the other day i started having battery problems on my 93 accord automatic with 205k. so i did what i do everytime i have any car trouble, fix the problem and anything that could break near it. (new battery, ground wire, terminal protectors, battery tray anchors and clean-up). everthing went good on the test drive for about 2 mi. noticed increased acceleration and brighter dash lights, parked the car for the night. next day on the way to work i notice that the trans is shifting surprizingly smooth and at first i was like a pig in **** thinking that a ground could make that kind of difference. ha not my luck, it seems recently every time i fix one thing something else brakes. so by the time i get around work the trans is slipping so bad that i cant move at all. i tried manually selecting gears first, got nothing, so i parked the car and let it cool. got on the way and the trans worked good for like 2 mi so i figured heat. park again but only turned the car off for 30 sec, tried to go and the trans worked fine again for about 2 mi. so this led me to believe that the trans would not have cooled in 30 sec and temp was not the problem. i got the car home and checked the solenoids, they worked. checked to see if anthing came loose cnd couldnt find anything. all i did was change battery, ground cable, thermostat (checked grounds), oil, and air filter. please i am clueless this trans showed no signs of failure before this i just dont know what i could have done. HELP!!!!!

p.s.
this is what the alphabet would look like withoutQ and R

and no codes on dash or ecu.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 a cord transmission problem

Short the service connector to see if engine or tranny codes are stored. It could be heat in the TCU that is causing the shifting problems. Try to diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:54 PM
macdadflex
Unregistered

already checked 4 codes via jumper none found

Old 10-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Try resetting the TCU by pulling BackUp fuse (fuse 24)for 20 secs. Does this correct problem temporarily? Do you hear the trans interlock control unit buzzing or clicking and stops when you press brake pedal? Is S or D4 light On and trans stuck in 3rd or 4th gear?

Anyof above symptoms indicates the TCU board has some defective components. A used or repair of your TCU is fix.

good luck

Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 AM

We have plenty of trans fluid in there correct?