General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 honda accord brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Was that guy working on seals or whatever in the ABS modulator? If something isn't right inside there, that could be the reason it's letting fluid bleed from the main brake circuits into the ABS reservoir??

Never done the modulator rebuild myself, so I can only generalize about it...

Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I was reading on honda abs systems and how they operate and while reading I realized something. First, during normal brake operation, brake fluid gets pumped to the modulator and from there it distributes the fluid to the wheels. What I realized whats happening with my car is that the fluid gets pumped to the modulator but the modulator will not let go of the fluid therefore leaking out from the top through the cap. Secondly I read that the abs control unit performs calculations based on signals from the individual wheel speed sensors. My car has a bad wheel speed sensor, does not read how fast im going or nothing. But, correct me if im wrong, since my speed sensor is faulty, the computer does not know my car is driving therefore telling the modulator to just hold on the fluid. Does this make sense lol. here is the link for honda abs system Honda & Acura Antilock Brakes

Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Im just gonna go to the junkyard and grab a speed sensor and hope for the best. I see one of my speed sensors that is damaged. Its gotta be done anyways.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

It just may be the brake master cylinder internal seals failed and need a new MC.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Again, I appreciate all your replies but this car had a owner that shouldnt even think about fixing anything on a car at all lol. There are cords that are from a desktop computers power supply spliced into the o2 sensor, he used some brown sticcky stuff as a rtv subsitute on the valve cover, iac, and several other parts, speaker wire for God knows what, so basically this was not put together properly to say the least. Anyways, I was tracing some wires because I felt the abs pump was just not pumping and what I found was a bunch of wires cut and this yellow/blak wire that goes to abs pump motor relay is cut among some others for speed sensors. Also I did replaced the broken speed sensor and now it shows how fast im going but once I press on the brake pedal it drops to zero. So im going to fix the wiring issue and if it is still not working then I will definitely replace the mc.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

WOW. I guess with all that, we can only guess what's going on. Gonna take some real tedious troubleshooting. If I were you, whenever ANYTHING happens don't take the wiring harness connections for granted.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I double checked the wiring that I found that was and it is not related to the abs system at all. It was for small things like horn, brake fluid level sensor etc not important. What I did notice was the instrument panel was swapped. I realized I did not have a abs light but my car is abs lol. Anyways, I replaced the mc and car still does the same thing. While bleeding, the fluid goes to the abs modulator reservoir and overflows through the cap. Anybody think I should change the abs pump? Or any other ideas on what to do next? Sorry for the late reply, I was in california.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure it's the pump, you might need the valve body. If you're getting parts from a pick-n-pull, just get the whole ABS modulator unit (not "just" the pump).

Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Jimblake, it turns out that it was the modulator after all. I went to the pick n pull yard and got both the pump and modulator for $80 which is way lowr then I had expected, but im not complaing. Now I have an extra pump which I will probably sell. Anyways, thank you everybody for your assistance and have a great day.