General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94-97 power steering pump part number?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default 94-97 power steering pump part number?

Does anyone have the part # for the power steering pump main shaft bearing? I've had a hard time finding any info ... there is no parts explosion diagram for the ps pump on this car, but on othr Honda around the same year there is diagam for a pump that looks to be identical ... and the part # for the bearing is 91048-PY3-003. No idea if this is the correct on for my car though.

This is an f22b1 engine if it makes a difference.

Thanks. John

Old 08-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Did you look under "P.S, PUMP BRACKET" - on majestic's site your cars pump is there. And it shows part number as one of the bearings.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Found it -- thanks!

Just a comment then -- the different online parts catalogs all seem to have variances from each other. I checked parts.com and sonshonda.com, on both I could not pull up the PS pump explosion diagram for my car, only found it for other Hondas.

If Majestic uses a better / more complete parts diagram than other dealerships, then I'll have to use Majestic from now on.

Now I also have a followup question -- is this bearing available from National or SKF? I can easily find the alternator main bearing on eBay or froogle, but am not seeing much of anything for 91048-PY3-003.

Thanks. John

Last edited by jkowtko; 08-30-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

I tried looking for an aftermarket solution before I replied - I'll admit I didn't spend too much time - and didn't see anything right away. In the description on majestic it looked like the spec's of the bearing were there (something like 60X40X10).

Those spec's might lead you to an aftermarket bearing, note they are metric (mm) spec's.

Then you have to think about the options.....a bone yard pump and a ~$15 seal kit might be cheaper

Old 08-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Almost A Senior Member

The bearing size is stated as 15x38x12. If you think any "radial ball" bearing with those dimensions will do, then I'll look around ... only found one so far with that dimension and it doesn't look like it's made for automotive use (i.e. not sealed on both sides).

I already bought the seal kit and replaced everything in the pump but the bearing and shaft seal. The car has 244k on it and I think both PS pump, alternator and AC compressor are original. Everything seems to be working fine except that I'm starting to hear a bearing noise, so today I'll check it out to see which accessory is at fault (already had timing belt and tensioners replaced so it won't be those). Assuming it is either the alternator or PS pump I thought I'd replace the bearings in both for good measure. (if it's the AC Compressor, then I'll have to do more research before I tear that thing apart.)

I don't mind the cost of a bearing, and like I said this would be a fun weekend project (and an excuse to buy the HFT shop press!)

Old 08-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

It would need to be sealed. I think I saw it listed for ~$25 on ebay or something. So if that is not a big deal I would just get the honda bearing and not worry with fitment or other issues.

But as you stated, you need to find the source of the noise....alt, ps or ac?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Well, wouldn't you know it -- I go outside and fire up the engine to try to locate the source of the bearing noise, and I can't hear anything coming from any of the three accessories.

There is a bit of a "wheeze" coming from the cam or timing belt area, but it's not very loud at this point. It may have been there just after the timing belt was replaced.

** update **

just looked online, sounds like the timing belt may be loosening up a bit after 5 months. Will bring it into the shop where we had it originally installed for a quick tightening and see if that takes care of it.

I'd still like to replace the alternator and PS pump bearings eventually though ... the alternator brushes are almost down to the bone so I need to service that anyway. And I never replaced the shaft seal on the PS pump, so another excuse to pull that apart again as well. I just wish it was as easy to replace that rear main seal ...

Last edited by jkowtko; 08-30-2014 at 02:31 PM.