General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord 2.2 does not crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Default 94 Accord 2.2 does not crank

My son-in-law was driving the car down the interstate and the car just died.

When turning the key on, I get all accessory features, but engine WILL NOT CRANK. You can hear the starter bendix engage, but that is it.

Please help!!!!

Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Kevin.pope
My son-in-law was driving the car down the interstate and the car just died.

When turning the key on, I get all accessory features, but engine WILL NOT CRANK. You can hear the starter bendix engage, but that is it.

Please help!!!!
Sounds like starter rebuild or replace time to me. If the starter bendix is kicking out, then the starter itself isn't turning. The bendix should kick out, and the starter should both spin at the same time. Since this isn't happening, this means the starter is due for a commutator cleaning and new brushes.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Sounds like starter rebuild or replace time to me. If the starter bendix is kicking out, then the starter itself isn't turning. The bendix should kick out, and the starter should both spin at the same time. Since this isn't happening, this means the starter is due for a commutator cleaning and new brushes.

But the starter crapping out would not cause the engine to die going down the road would it? Sorry if I'm being ignorant

Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

You are right. The engine cutting out while driving has nothing to do with the starter.

Sounds like the electrical to the starter is working, since the bendix engages.

I'd probably remove all the spark plugs and try cranking the engine by hand using a 19mm socket on the crank pulley bolt. There is an access hole in the plastic in the front driver's wheel well. Turn the engine by hand in the direction the tires move in drive (counterclockwise when looking at the front driver's tire). See if the engine moves smoothly when cranking by hand.