General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord 4cyl needs a timing belt! but which?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:14 AM
Default 94 accord 4cyl needs a timing belt! but which?

Mostly self explanatory... I recently had a 94 honda accord EX 4cyl auto enter the family with over 230,000 miles and no clue when the timing belt was last done and i'm suspecting it's probably well past where it should be since when it was gotten 4 years ago by girlfriend there was no documentation of it being done last either...

Looking on amazon I saw multiple kits from about $80 to $180 or so, was wondering if this was something of 'just get the most complete kit' or what exactly.

Planned to do the water pump at the same time and flushing the radiator, heater core, and engine block. Is there anything else I should plan to do at the same time? FYI i've never done any of these things before on any vehicle.

I should say i've never done a timing belt before and am wondering how complicated it is. I did a clutch in my Saturn SL following internet instructions but I can't say I was fully conscious of what I was doing while I did it although it worked out okay. Done brake jobs on a few cars, replaced power steering pumps, alternators, starters. Outside of that my knowledge is splotchy and incomplete so assume i'm dumber than I am while warning me what to be careful of. Mostly hoping I wont inadvertently have something where it's not lined up once in there and valves bend I mean/if I can check/verify everything is A Ok right after the replace..

Old 06-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest a kit w/ all belts and tensioner parts. The Amazon Evergreen TBK or Gates kits look to be good products.

Check DiY forum, Online Manuals posts for links to download manual. I will also attach a long dead file I downloaded years ago that has some excellent info.

All of us DIY'rs had to have a first time timing belt. Read the DIY posts on subject, attached info and shop manual closely. Check crankshaft and camshaft alignment carefully as advised before closing the covers.

See following warning.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...warning-22046/

good luck

Attached Files
Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 PM

Thanks! I'll give them a bit of a study before posting anything more on this topic.

If anyone else has any off-the-top-of-their-head recommendations though or extra comments i'm all game. (at least there seem to be a number of videos on youtube for instance)

Old 06-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

You can purchase the ericthecarguy video where he goes through the timing belt replacement on a 97 accord bolt by bolt. It is a good video with tips on how to replace the belt.

I'd suggest the belts, tensioners, waterpump. Verify that you have the front balance shaft retaining bracket installed. Make sure you install the tensioner bearing/pulley on the post sticking out of the engine block, so it pivots properly (very easy to overlook).