General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'94 accord with a '96 engine wont catch

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

wait a minute. i just realized what you meant by checking the firing order. you were using this as a way to identify which dist i have right? now it makes sense. okay so youre saying i have the correct dist on it? he told me he changed it to a 96. but hes very flakey. does it look right to you?
what do i do now?

Old 07-17-2017, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Those pictures were just for the firing order. The bottom picture is for the 94 and 96 distributor.

If you tell me the number of wires in each electrical connector coming out of the distributor, I can tell you if you have a 94 or 96 distributor. They look identical otherwise.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Those pictures were just for the firing order. The bottom picture is for the 94 and 96 distributor.

If you tell me the number of wires in each electrical connector coming out of the distributor, I can tell you if you have a 94 or 96 distributor. They look identical otherwise.
Dist https://imgur.com/gallery/wGdej

I see 6 there is that what you meant?

Last edited by ghostface; 07-17-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

You have the 96 distributor installed. It looks like you have the wiring harness for the 96 installed too. The plug with 4-wires is for the 96. The 94 would have 6 wires on that connector.

You may want to check for engine codes. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a write-up.

The 96 PCM doesn't use the same electrical connectors as the 94 ECU & TCU.

Did the mechanic who did the swap return any wire harness after the install?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You have the 96 distributor installed. It looks like you have the wiring harness for the 96 installed too. The plug with 4-wires is for the 96. The 94 would have 6 wires on that connector.

You may want to check for engine codes. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a write-up.

The 96 PCM doesn't use the same electrical connectors as the 94 ECU & TCU.

Did the mechanic who did the swap return any wire harness after the install?
no he only brought me the computer for the 96. Which i don't need right? So this has turned into a major project now hasnt it? Is this something ill be able to do myself with some guidance keeping in mind i have no experience

Old 07-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, it sounds like you have the 96 engine, 96 distributor, 96 wiring harness. So I think you need to install the 96 computer to match the rest of the package.

What I don't know is whether the wiring harness all the way back into the cabin has what you need to plug in the 96 computer?? Doesn't someone make conversion harness for a swap like this?

Old 07-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Actually, it sounds like you have the 96 engine, 96 distributor, 96 wiring harness. So I think you need to install the 96 computer to match the rest of the package.

What I don't know is whether the wiring harness all the way back into the cabin has what you need to plug in the 96 computer?? Doesn't someone make conversion harness for a swap like this?
okay i DO have the computer. Someone said it wouldnt matter tho. So how do i install this thing?

Can anyone tell me the size of socket i need to get these bolts loosened on the panel that covers the computer?

Last edited by ghostface; 07-17-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the adapters that fit into the 94 computer dont seem to fit in the 96 computer guys...what do i do?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

The plugs for the 96 and 94 are different.

There are adapters to convert a 96 obd2 to a 94 obd1 setup. because people can program the obd1 ECU. I see 1 harness that would convert your 94 to a 96 obd2, but it was $100. Not sure if you would run into issues with this option.

This is tricky. I'd likely find the wire harness from a 96/97 accord that runs under the dash and install it. This might be a pain to do.

The alternative is to get a 94 distributor and the 94 engine wire harness. Then you would swap them. The distributor is easy. The engine wire harness would be some work to do, but possible.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

craaaap. okay let me ask you a question. if this was your car, your only car, and besides this little issue had no other problems anywhere on it, body in great condition, interior also in great condition, power windows and locks all work, only prob is the AC needs to be recharged(im told its not broken or anything but needs to be recharged or something?) and the alignment is a tad bit off, but thats it. other than that its in great condition and this motor only had one owner and the miles are supposed to be really low on it. would you sell it if it were yours? in hopes of finding something that runs great and within the price range of the profit youd get

Quick Reply: '94 accord with a '96 engine wont catch