General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord BLOWER works with car off and key out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

You never said what the blower motor did when you pulled the #8 fuse. Did it work or not?

You are going to need to get that volt meter. I attached a picture of the relay. Use picture to identify pins a, b, c, and d.

What you want to do is test for voltage. Touch the black lead of the volt meter to a good ground (any bare metal bolt near the fuse box). Unplug blower relay.

Touch red lead of volt meter to where A plugs into the fuse box. It should have 12V.

Touch red lead to where C plugs in. It should have 12V when the key is in the II position. It should not have 12V when the key is off.

Attached Thumbnails 94 Accord BLOWER works with car off and key out!-blower-relay.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Default pulled #8 fuse

ohh sry. i pulled the number 8 fuse with the key out and the blower DID still work and so did the lights on the circulation button and the vent mode button. i will do the volt test in the morning when i get to work and will let you know the results thanks so much!!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Default Volt test

ok i did the volt test with my multi meter at work. here are the results

A = 11v key out

C = 0v with key in or out didnt matter

D = 11v with key in or out stayed the same

B = 0v all the time.

where do we go from here thanks so much for all your input and help it really does mean the world to me!!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

The blk/yel wire that comes out of the fuse box is getting power when it shouldn't have no power when you turn off the key. Pin D verified that.

I think that you have narrowed it down to a short in the wiring or a short in the fuse box under the dash. I don't have a pin out for you to test the wiring.

There are a couple of other simple tests to try. Remove the key and turn on the blower inside of the car.

If you hit the recirculate/fresh air button, does the door open and shut that is above the blower? You might want to try this with the key on to hear and see what I am talking about.

Also with key removed, blower turned on in the car, have a assistant turn on the a/c. Listen for a click at the compressor in the engine bay.

Let us know what you find.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Default Possible suggestion...

Hey so I've been following you guys for a couple days. I have a 94 accord that is giving me the same problem. circulation light stays on even when the car is off and so does the blower, and if I go two days without driving then the battery dies. I'm no expert on electrical stuff but I got a light tester and tested the fuses under the hood and I narrowed it down to the condensor fan fuse, so I pulled the condensor fan fuse (15 a) #34 under the hood and that solved the problem, the circulation light goes off when the car is off, yet functions normally when the car is on. you could try that but I am worried about what that is needed for. maybe it is a problem with the condensor fan? I don't want to cause any more problems driving without that. any suggestions???? I'm going to try and call honda tomorrow and see what info they can give me....

Last edited by Eshoj; 02-25-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Default p.s

I read up a little more and I guess that fuse is for the radiator fan control module, the condensor fan, and the A/C compressor clutch relay. So I believe the problem is somewhere between these three units... I'm curious to know if your car does the same thing if you pull that fuse. but i don't suggest driving with it out as I don't know what problems it could cause.

Last edited by Eshoj; 02-25-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Default Solution

I don't know if you figured out the problem I feel like I killed the thread. but just to let you know I traced it from that fuse and found that one of my a/c compressor clutch relays was broken so I replaced it and now everything is working great! so it was a broken relay that sits right up next to the radiator fan, and where you fill up the window washer fluid. hope this helps anyone...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'm no expert on electrical stuff but I got a light tester and tested the fuses under the hood and I narrowed it down to the condensor fan fuse, so I pulled the condensor fan fuse (15 a) #34 under the hood and that solved the problem
Eshoj - When you first posted, I thought that your problem was different than the original poster. That fuse you pulled seems to be unrelated to the electrical circuit for the blower and the recirculation motor inside of the car. How why did you use a light tester on the circuit?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 PM

PaHonda,
ya everything that jlpatterson said is exactly what I was having wrong with my car. He just didn't say anything about the battery dieing after leaving it for a while. There was nothing wrong with the blower, it functioned fine, just that it functioned when the car was off, with the key out. it functioned on all levels. and the recirculation light stayed on (when the key was out as well). I was sick of my battery dieing so I got a light tester, disconnected the negative cable to the battery and attached one end of the light tester to the negative terminal and the other end of the light tester to the negative cable, and the light turned on. So I started pulling fuses one at a time in the under hood fuse box searching for what was drawing power, untill the light turned off and that was the #34 fuse for (the radiator fan control module, the condensor fan, and the A/C compressor clutch relays). and I checked and the recirculation light was off (with that fuse out) then after, I put the fuse back in and the recirculation light came back on and the tester light that I had attached to the battery also came back on. So out of those three units that the fuse was for, I decided to start with the easiest to check which was the A/C compressor clutch relays (there are two) I located them by the front left headlight, next to the radiator fan. I pulled one of those relays and the recirculation light went off inside the car, and the blower would not run with the car on or off (with that relay pulled). So I ran to a salvage yard near by and pulled a relay off a car for $5, and that did the trick. Problem solved. the recirculation light does not stay on with the key out. Neither does the blower work with key out. No more dead batteries! Ya it was weird the fuse really did seem unrelated. but it was the exact same problem. I am really curious to hear if this works for jlpatterson as well.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I am hoping someone here can help me because I have the exact same problem except the solution mentioned here does not work.

I own a 1994 Honda Accord EX coupe manual with 281,000 miles. I recently had the cylinder headgasket replaced. The mechanic jumped thecooling fans via the sensors thinking they did not work. I am not sure exactly what all the details are. But both cooling fans do indeed run as I have recently saw them both do this. Anyway, when the key is out, the interior blower fan will run when switched on. Also, the two green lights on the dashboard illuminate and stay on constantly with key on and out. The blower fan will not runwhen switched to off. But the two green lights stay on all the time. Same situation as the other member had here.

After reading I thought I would have to simply replace a bad A/C Condenser Fan Relay. I even bought the part. However, upon installing the new relay I still have the same problem. Even when I disconnect each relay (there are 2 side by side under hood) the fan and lightsare still on as if nothing changed.

I pulled the under hood fuse (I think it said A/C Cond. Fan but don’t remember right now) and the blower fan and lights all turned off. So, I am pretty sure it is the right circuit. I am wondering if there might be more than the 2 A/C Condenser Fan Relays on the car? If so, perhaps it is that remaining one. I would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas here. This is driving me crazy and I sense this is a simple inexpensive solution if only I could find it.

Quick Reply: 94 Accord BLOWER works with car off and key out!