General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Driver-side Front Door Key Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:28 PM
DFH
Default 94 Accord Driver-side Front Door Key Problem

I have a problem with a 1994 Accord driver-side frontdoor lock: I can unlock, but not lockthe door with the key; the key will not turn clockwise from the verticalposition, only counterclockwise.

This problem arose after I reinstalled the door handle assemblyper the YouTube video “How to Install Replace Front Door Lock Actuator HondaAccord 94-97 1AAuto.com.” The doorhandle is functional and
the left door can be locked remotely using the key in right-hand door tolock all doors.

When the door is closed, the vertical rod that protrudes through an inside holeat the rear corner of the window, called the “lock tab” in the owner’s manual,can be pushed down, causing the power-lock system to lock all the doors. When the door is open, the lock tab can no longerbe moved up or down.

The photograph shows the key-driven (andoutside-door-handle-driven) mechanical assemblies that operate the door lock (andthe latch), respectively. When rod (1) thatnormally is moved up and down by the rotation key is unhooked from its whiteplastic rocker arm (2), moving the rod up by hand will cause the left-door lockmotor to lock the door latch (and moving the rod down will unlock the doorlatch). The key can be rotatedboth clockwise and counter clockwise when rod (1) is disconnected from the rockerarm (2). When the rod (1) is attached toits rocker arm (2), something prevents it from upward motion and the key nolonger will turn clockwise. Therefore,the problem is mechanical and has to do with the location of that rod (1) when it is attached to the rockerarm (2).

How can I fix theproblem of inability to lock any doors with the left-hand door key?

Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

It is early for me - means I'm a bit slow.

So with the door closed, does everything work? Key will lock and unlock the door(s)?

Old 11-22-2014, 11:57 AM
DFH

[QUOTE=So with the door closed, does everything work? Key will lock and unlock the door(s)?[/QUOTE]

No, the key will unlock the drive's door but not lock it or the other doors. On the passenger side the key will lock all doors, and I suspect unlock the driver's side as well as the others, though I haven't specifically tested the unlocking function.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Almost A Senior Member

sounds like a issue with the lock cylinder, nothing short of taking it all back apart to see, good luck.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

The service manual shows the lock cylinder joint that connects to the cylinder rod facing the opposite direction than what is shown in your pdf image.

Additionally, the cylinder rod is installed in the opposite direction in the service manual.

Attached Thumbnails 94 Accord Driver-side Front Door Key Problem-lock-cylinder-joint.jpg   94 Accord Driver-side Front Door Key Problem-lock-cylinder-joint-2.jpg   94 Accord Driver-side Front Door Key Problem-your-car.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-22-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added more.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
DFH
Default Redbull-1 is Correct

Today I reversed the positions at which the metal cylinder rod and the white plastic rod that descends from the lock cylinder attach to the rocker arm, and the key can now both unlock and lock the door.

Thanks to redbull-1! You can add another notch in your rifle stock to those which elevated you to SuperModerator.

I have posted a comment below the You Tube video that has the mistake and sent a message to 1AAuto.com suggesting they correct it or warn others who view it of the mistake.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear it's fixed. Thanks for reporting back.