General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Front, driver side door lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Default '98 Front, driver side door lock actuator

To begin...I had one hell of a time removing the old actuator as the part sits tucked back inside the door frame...stripped screw heads, drilled through plastic, swore too many times.

I replaced the rear, driver side actuator earlier in the year. It was an easy fix. There's a plastic lever that attaches to the metal bar supporting the actual door lock, enabling it to lock/unlock. Well, for the driver front, I managed to attach the plastic lever of the new actuator to the door lock, but the plastic lever does not push the door lock up enough to unlock the door.

What I need from those who know...Can I remove this entire assmebly out of the door to look at it? Are there other moving parts that I need to check other than the lever on the actuator that moves the door lock up/down?

There's a special screw head holding the outside door handle to this locking mechanism preventing me from pulling the piece out of its cubby hole within the door.

I need to put my car back together and in working condition. SOS! If anyone is confused, holler.