General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord ex ABS light coming on ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 accord ex ABS light coming on ???

hi guys i have a 1994 accord and when i start it up it makes a buzzing noise for like about 20 seconds than it goes away and the ABS light comes on. what is the problem and how can i fix it and i have another problem with it also. the car sometimes does not want to start it turns over but does not start all the way it seems to do this when i make short trips like start up then shut off but when i start it and drive it long distance than turn off and it sits for s while it stars just fine. it seems to do it more wth the hot weather. if i let it sit for a few minutes than try starting while slightly pressing the gas it will start most of the time. i read some other post and im thinking it might be the fuel relay or somthing to do with the fuel or somthin what do you think?? tahnx

Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Buzzing is your ABS pump. Jumper the SCS connector, just like you were reading Check-Engine light error codes. But it's the ABS light that'll flash instead of (or along with) the check-engine light. Tell us the sequence of flashes.
- long flash & long pause (not yet part of the code)
- short flashes = first digit of code
- short pause
- short flashes = second digit of code
- long pause
- short flashes = first digit of next code
etc....

Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

when i first start the car the the buzzing starts than after 15 seconds the ABS light comes on and the buzz stops. ABS light stays on till i turn the car off.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

You need to jumper the SCS connector and read the error codes that are stored in the ABS computer. Then we can decide what to check out next.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

You are probably getting pump over run code, have you tried flushing the ABS pump unit.
OPEN THE HOOD and check for brake fluid seeping around the unit anywhere.
check carefully for fluid seeping out from under the label on the accumulator.
The biggest problem of those ABS units is that some mental midget engineer put the check valve at the very lowest point of the unit. You know down where all the crud and water collects.
As far as 'short hop' hard starts, try holding the gas pedal 1/2 way to allow more air.
If you feel that the engine is flooding, you can hold the gas pedal to the floor when cranking and that will shut off the injector pulse.
Honda made a change to the newer model owners manual to explain this;