General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord EX Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 PM
ISD
Unregistered
Default 94 Accord EX Advice Needed

I just got a 94 Accord EX Coupe, F22B1, auto. It has 199,950 on the clock and runs (or ran) great but leaks almost a quart of oil a week from the front of the motor (timing belt area) as well as a few other minor leaks. I've pulled the motor so that I can clean and reseal the motor, replace timing and balance belts, and clean up the engine compartment.

With 200,000 miles on a strong running motor and no other problems but the leaks, would you tear it down completely while it's out, or do as I originally planned and just clean everything up and fix the leaks?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 AM

That is a lot of oil to be leaking.

If I could afford it, and the rest of the car was in great condition, then yeah, why not rebuild it. You've got it out of the car, its the best time to do it.

If your not sure how long the rest of the car will last, or you don't want to invest any time or money in it, then give it a compresion test, and drop the sump and check the bearings.
If they are ok, then leave it be and throw it back in the car after replacing all the gaskets.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Sounds like the timing belt/shaft seals should be replaced. I had my belt/seals done on my 97 Accord and the mechanic told me that they now put in new style seals that hold in place better.

I would also pull the valve cover gasket and inspect internals and get a new gasket set which includes spark plug seals too. I decided on mine not to pull the oil pan though because it did not appear to be leaking.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 AM
HayabusaDark
Unregistered

i hav the same problem with my 94 also. this will be helpful in my pursuit of solving and stopping this oil leak. oil gets way too expensive after awhile. thank you for the posting

Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 PM
ISD
Unregistered

Well, I decided that since I've got it out, I may as well just go through it. Rod and main bearings, de-glaze the cyls, and re-ring. Parts are pretty cheap, I work part time at O'Reilly, I'm still up in the air over what to do with the head. I'll probably just clean it up and maybe polish the intake and exhaust runners a little. Right now I'm just going back to stock. After the motor I'll tackle the suspension then interior. I'm saving the body for last since it just needs minor work before paint.