General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Family needs an Accord. Advice on year and model needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Default Family needs an Accord. Advice on year and model needed.

I am posting this here because I figure there will be more people here that can best answer my question than in the "new member kiddie pool".

My family (they live in NY) is buying an Accord tomorrow (or so they say). Their plan is to look around all the used car dealers in the area and find something that makes them happy. I know NOTHING about Accords, but they know even less. Considering this, I feel obliged to help them, a little.

So, given the following criteria, please recommend a year and trim level of the Accord. Things they need:
  • 4 doors
  • Price <$20,000 (firm)
  • 7th gen or higher
  • Leather
  • If there is a "better seat" option, that (No worse than 7th gen Acura TL seats. This is THE most important item. Our TL has 260k miles. They drive a lot)
  • Enough get up and go to get up on the highway with no problem (Their old car a 1.8T Audi A4 did not cut it)
  • Nav is not needed
  • "Sportier" tuned suspension is always welcome
  • If there is a model with a good balance of fuel economy and power, then that is also preferable.

If you have any questions for me, have at it.

Thank you for you support!

Last edited by paskowitz; 06-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Right now, based on the criteria, I would say a 2006-2007 Accord 4 cylinder EX-L. The "better seat" option may not meet the criteria though, as the Acura line is more refined than the Honda Accord line.

What State, etc. do they live near? That may help too.

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-22-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM

Post edited. Thanks. I told them a TL is probably a better option (helllo... they own one), but they have thick heads.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Looking at craigslist prices for some cities in NY, some 2006 and 2007 Acura TLs are less than $20K.

Acuras are more refined, generally have more power; but, require premium gas, whereas an Accord does not require premium gas. I do like the Acura TLs though.

Here are some reasons why I initially said 2006-2007 Accord 4 cylinder EX-L.
  • In general, 4 cylinders are better on fuel economy than 6 cylinders.
  • Power on 4 cylinder is good, more than enough to get up on the freeway and even to pass cars.
  • EX-L trim level has leather.
  • 2003 -2005 4 cylinder Accords were not drive-by-wire. (Not saying it is bad.)
  • 2006 - current 4 cylinder Accords were drive-by-wire.
  • 2003 - current 6 cylinder Accords were drive-by-wire.
  • 4 cylinder had a timing chain that does not normally require replacement, unless due to damaged or stretched chain. (The bad: infrequent oil changes or low oil levels can cause stretched chains and other problems.)
  • 6 cylinder had timing belt that require periodic change.
  • 8th generation Accords are not bad, some quite good.
  • Some 8th generation Accords used oil, more so with the 4 cylinder. Not as prevalent with the 7th generation 4 cylinder Accords, even though they are based on the similar K24 engine -- go figure.
  • 8th generation V6 had VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) is fuel-saving technology that automatically deactivates 1/3 or 1/2 of the cylinders, according to the driving conditions. However, some V6 would have plug fouling and misfire due to how the VCM operated. Honda's general fix was to replace the specific fouled plugs and do an ECM/PCM software update.
There are other goods and bads; but, these are just some things off the top of my head.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Redbull,
The more I read your posts on here, the more intelligent I see you are.
This post is a great example, you are right on in your response, and although this is a few months old, many can learn from this!
I love my 07 ex-l, WOuldnt trade it for anything, unless they made a 2007 6-6 automatic...(which they only make 6-6's manual)
But who needs a 6th gear on an auto, unless your driving 100MPH +
And for your i-4 argument, my i4 has more than enough power...I always liked a car that gave you the option of power for gas usage...and the 07 is it. The more you lay into it, the faster the gas needle goes down.

Thanks for your intelligent posts! You should be a honda rep!

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Looking at craigslist prices for some cities in NY, some 2006 and 2007 Acura TLs are less than $20K.

Acuras are more refined, generally have more power; but, require premium gas, whereas an Accord does not require premium gas. I do like the Acura TLs though.

Here are some reasons why I initially said 2006-2007 Accord 4 cylinder EX-L.
  • In general, 4 cylinders are better on fuel economy than 6 cylinders.
  • Power on 4 cylinder is good, more than enough to get up on the freeway and even to pass cars.
  • EX-L trim level has leather.
  • 2003 -2005 4 cylinder Accords were not drive-by-wire. (Not saying it is bad.)
  • 2006 - current 4 cylinder Accords were drive-by-wire.
  • 2003 - current 6 cylinder Accords were drive-by-wire.
  • 4 cylinder had a timing chain that does not normally require replacement, unless due to damaged or stretched chain. (The bad: infrequent oil changes or low oil levels can cause stretched chains and other problems.)
  • 6 cylinder had timing belt that require periodic change.
  • 8th generation Accords are not bad, some quite good.
  • Some 8th generation Accords used oil, more so with the 4 cylinder. Not as prevalent with the 7th generation 4 cylinder Accords, even though they are based on the similar K24 engine -- go figure.
  • 8th generation V6 had VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) is fuel-saving technology that automatically deactivates 1/3 or 1/2 of the cylinders, according to the driving conditions. However, some V6 would have plug fouling and misfire due to how the VCM operated. Honda's general fix was to replace the specific fouled plugs and do an ECM/PCM software update.
There are other goods and bads; but, these are just some things off the top of my head.