General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord ex starts most of the time but sometimes it wont

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:18 PM
94exxxx
Unregistered
Default 94 accord ex starts most of the time but sometimes it wont

Hi i drive a 1994 honda accord ex its a 2.2 vtec with a 5 speed. I have a problem where when i park the car sometimes it wont start. I putting the car in neutral and pushing it a bit, while it is rolling it will start sometimes...other times it wont. I know it gets spark and fuel i checked them both. I do have a cold air intake and a 2.5 inch full exhaust; but no check engine lights or anyhting are on. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks mitch

Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 94 accord ex starts most of the time but sometimes it wont

I suggest trying to start w/ starter fluid or throttle body cleaner sprayed into the throttle body intake, when you have no-start condition. If it starts briefly and stops, ignition is fine and fuel delivery is the problem. If it won't kick over at all, ignition is not adequate.

Sometimes ignition checks (spark plug grounded to engine and observe spark) can be misleading. It may show a spark, but the spark may be too weak to start the engine. A timing light tests the spark w/o removing wire. If timing light flashes, the spark is OK.

A quick and easy fuel pressure test is cracking the banjo bolt on the fuel rail, either pressure tap bolt or fuel delivery bolt. If you get a big spray of fuel (use a rag to contain), fuel pressure is likely OK. If nothing or a dribble, fuel supply is suspect; Main Fuel Relay or fuel pump.

good luck