General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Default 94 Accord Instrument Cluster

I have read numerous posts here and some of them are close to the problems that my son and I are having with our Accord, but, not exactly. Here's what is going on.

The Speedometer works when it wants to. It mainly reads zero. But then it will kick in and indicate speed.

The cruise control does work.

The fuel gauge is way off. we just got the car and yesterday it was reading 3/4 tank and i was able to put in 7 gallons of gas.

The temp gauge stays in the cold section. It barely moves even after driving 40 miles.

Am I to assume that the board behind the cluster is messed up? The only gauge that seems to work correctly is the Tach. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Me, sounds like the PCB for the speedo is gone.

The temp, take a pic of it. If it is pointing around 4 o'clock on the gauge....it is fine.

Fuel, clean the gound for the sender. Or better yet let it go thru a full cycle before doing anything.

The speedo issue is a pretty common issue on this generation Accord (94-97). There are a few things you can try to fix the one you have or find another working PCB and swap it....with just changing the PCB the milage of the car is kept.

EDIT: And I'll guess the trip and odo are not working as well.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM

Thank you poorman212. I was thinking it was the PCB. Not a problem I will just re-solder the joints. I am not sure on the odometer. Guess my son and I are just going to go through the car and take one problem on at a time. LOL. Just got done rebuilding the power steering pump because of leaks.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 PM

oh got another question. on the temp gauge issue. we drove it over 40 miles the other day. And the temp gauge really did not move. the other thing that I noticed was that the fans never came on. So where do i start looking on this issue?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

You don't give what part of the world you are in so this can be a bit hard to answer.

Does/did the temp gauge move at all? A reading of 4~5 o'clock on the temp gauge would be about normal. If mine ever got to 1/2, I was pulling over as something is wrong.

The car is new to you so....an OE t-stat and o-ring do not cost that much. Throw a new one in there, be sure to bleed the coolant - these cars DO NOT like trapped air in the coolant system so bleed it properly after the t-stat replacement.

Next, right around the t-stat housing- lower hose from rad to engine - there is a two wire green plug. Remove it and take a paper clip or something on the wire side of the connector and jump the wires together. Turn the key to "On". Do BOTH of the fans come on?

Sitting still and engine running, it could take +20 minutes before the fans cycle. When driving there is enough air flow thru the rad that the fans might not ever cycle. On my 95, after doing some work that called for getting into the cooling system......did the bleeding and all that......it would be at least 15 minutes before the fans would cycle, keep an eye on the temp gauge, even in the summer when it was/is 90 outside.