General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord issues....please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Default 94 Accord issues....please help!!!

I just purchased a 1994 Honda Accord EX. When I purchased, the guy stated it had an acceleration problem. When you pressed the gas pedal it sputters, and hesitates to pick up speed. He thought it was the fuel injectors. He replaced the computer, the head (gasket, springs etc) and removed the cat convert. When I test drove I noticed a little hesitation but nothing major. The next day, I replaced the spark plugs and wires. It seemed the straighten out the problem for a few miles. Then got worse and worse. It didnt want to idle, or hardly move. It wouldnt go over 40mph or even up hills. I spoke with a few people and they told me to run fuel injector cleaner in it (NO HELP). I wsa then told to check the Fuel Pressure Regulator. (upon looking things up on the internet, i noticed i had multiple issues that related to this being bad. fuel in oil, 2 plugs fouled, smell of running rich) So i changed the FPR. It ran great for 3-4 days now. I also changed the oil. Today it started idling rough, not wanting to start, sputtering when first starting. I checked the FPR and nothing leaking, so i removed the vacuum hose from the FPR and it is running good again. Why is it running better with the vacuum hose off and what do you think I need to check or change next. I am no car enthus, nor do I know alot about cars but I am not afraid to get dirty and do the job myself.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 PM

Sorry message was long, but i figured the more detail the more help. Also the engine light is not on

Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Removing the vacuum reference causes the fuel pressure to increase slightly, perhaps 5 psi. This might improve fuel supply performance if the fuel pressure was slightly below spec (36 psi). No way to know except to measure fuel pressure, which is always a PIA. Finding the correct fittings is the problem.

Is check engine light ever on? If yes, get the codes and post them.

good luck

Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM

The only time I see the check engine light is when the key is first turned (when all the other warning lights are on) other than that, I never see it on. Should I change the fuel filter?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Replacing the fuel filter is a challenging job requiring use of crow-foot flare tube wrenches adapted for 3/8" extensions to reach the tubing nut on the lower side of fuel filter. You also will need someone to restrain rotation of the fuel filter from above as you work from below. Not a job to jump on unless you're sure it's the prolem.

It is extremely rare for fuel filter to be blocked (protected by fuel pump inlet screen). Suggest trying to measure the fuel pressure first.

Check the fuel injectors for leakage at the injector/fuel rail connection or possible leakage elsewhere.

Does this problem happen when engine is cold or only when fully warm?

good luck

Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Mainly when cold, but when driven over 50mph it starts and if driven longer than 20 minutes. No fuel leakage anywhere! When the engine is warmed up I can plug vacuum hose back up and it runs good for another 20 or so miles, then i have to remove vacuum hose to continue traveling or running right