General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord overheating :( help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Exclamation 94 accord overheating :( help!

well here is my info. i turn my car on and before i actually turn the key completely to turn it on. my temp on the car is already set at the normal midway range...idk why this happens.it overheats and i checked the relay and bridged my etc sensor to make sure my fan went on. only the left fan comes on. with ac only left fan comes on as well.my mechanic says that the right fan is only backup.but i have read otherwise.also i changed my thermostat already. so it isnt the thermostat because its new.isnt the relay because its functioning.and only one fan is coming on.also please remember that my car will say it is in normal temp before i even turn the ignition to turn it on...also it says its overheating but i dont get any of those symptons of my engine overheating.no shaking,no smoke, none of that.what can it be? please help me

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

There's 4 things that look like temperature sensors - make sure you're dealing with the correct ones.

End of the cylinder head, kinda below the distributor there's 2 of em.
Water temperature sensor (for the ECM) has a plastic plug with 2 wires.
Temperature sender (for the dashboard gauge) has 1 wire. Unplug the single-wire and the gauge should go to COLD.

Then there's 2 fan switches at the radiator hoses.

Follow the lower radiator hose back to the thermostat housing (below the throttlebody). The 2-wire switch back there is responsible for switching both fans while the engine is on. Unplug that & jumper the wire with a paperclip. Turn the key ON (engine doesn't actually need to be running) - BOTH fans should run.

The last one (at the upper radiator hose nozzle in the head) is responsible for switching ONE fan after you turn off the engine. Immediately after turning off the key, jumper that wire with a paperclip and one fan should run. There's a timer to turn it off after something like 20 minutes, even if you leave the jumper connected.

Now that's how it's supposed to work. Your post sounds like one of your fans doesn't work. Maybe a relay, fuse, or bad wiring? You can check for a bad motor by supplying batter power directly with a couple wires from battery to motor.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 AM

Temperature sender (for the dashboard gauge) has 1 wire. Unplug the single-wire and the gauge should go to COLD.

WHERE WOULD I FIND THIS WIRE EXACTLY? I AM THINKING IT IS THIS WIRE BECAUSE MY CAR ISNT EVEN ON WHEN IT SAYS ITS ALREADY ON NORMAL TEMP.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

That wire will be plugged into the sensor that is closest to where the upper radiator hose connects to the cylinder head. It will have one wire and the wire color is red.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by pahonda
that wire will be plugged into the sensor that is closest to where the upper radiator hose connects to the cylinder head. It will have one wire and the wire color is red.
alright thanks for all your help well i checked today and when i jumpered the sensor.only one fan came on.the left fan (if i were sitting in the car.to my left.) also this fan comes on when i have the ac on.i unplugged the other sensor which goes to my dashboard as you said and my dash doesnt go to cold sadly.i checked all the relays and they are all working(checked them with a meter to be 100% sure) also the right fan does not turn on at all...i jumpered sensor and it still didnt come on.what do you think it can be? Bad sensor maybe? (ps all fuses and relays have been checked)

Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by jalospride
alright thanks for all your help well i checked today and when i jumpered the sensor.only one fan came on.the left fan (if i were sitting in the car.to my left.) also this fan comes on when i have the ac on.i unplugged the other sensor which goes to my dashboard as you said and my dash doesnt go to cold sadly.i checked all the relays and they are all working(checked them with a meter to be 100% sure) also the right fan does not turn on at all...i jumpered sensor and it still didnt come on.what do you think it can be? Bad sensor maybe? (ps all fuses and relays have been checked)
when i disconected the single pin sensor the car got the check engine light on..but when i plugd it bak in.back to normal without check engine light on.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There's 4 things that look like temperature sensors - make sure you're dealing with the correct ones.

Then there's 2 fan switches at the radiator hoses.

Follow the lower radiator hose back to the thermostat housing (below the throttlebody). The 2-wire switch back there is responsible for switching both fans while the engine is on. Unplug that & jumper the wire with a paperclip. Turn the key ON (engine doesn't actually need to be running) - BOTH fans should run.
The last one (at the upper radiator hose nozzle in the head) is responsible for switching ONE fan after you turn off the engine. Immediately after turning off the key, jumper that wire with a paperclip and one fan should run. There's a timer to turn it off after something like 20 minutes, even if you leave the jumper connected.

Now that's how it's supposed to work. Your post sounds like one of your fans doesn't work. Maybe a relay, fuse, or bad wiring? You can check for a bad motor by supplying batter power directly with a couple wires from battery to motor.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

The fan on the passenger side is the radiator fan.

The fan motor may just be dead. The radiator fan motor electrical connector is near the bottom of the radiator. Remove the splash shield cover, then connect battery power directly to the fan motor electrical connector. If it doesn't spin or spins slowly, it should be replaced.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The fan on the passenger side is the radiator fan.

The fan motor may just be dead. The radiator fan motor electrical connector is near the bottom of the radiator. Remove the splash shield cover, then connect battery power directly to the fan motor electrical connector. If it doesn't spin or spins slowly, it should be replaced.
so you are saying that the connection should have two pins correct? if i run one pin on the battery (directly) and the other to ground...that should make my fan turn on.(meaning that my fan is working but one of my sensors has gone bad) i will try that tommorow morning and get back to you.thanks for the help!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jalospride
so you are saying that the connection should have two pins correct? if i run one pin on the battery (directly) and the other to ground...that should make my fan turn on.(meaning that my fan is working but one of my sensors has gone bad) i will try that tommorow morning and get back to you.thanks for the help!
I would say there is more chance your fan motor is dead or almost dead instead of the switch being bad.

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-21-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: switch instead of sensor

Quick Reply: 94 accord overheating :( help!