General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord passenger window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 AM

Had to figure out a way to test by myself this time, lol.

Yes it read just over 12v.

The driver side control did not power the window. What's funny(hopefully I didn't damage anything) is that I used two small pieces of the type of thin, metal twist tie that you find on loaves of bread. I stripped off too small a portion of the plastic sheath on one of the jumpers so some of the plastic was crammed off inside the pins. As I was pushing the driver side control at one point, I held the switch for several seconds with m head turned away from the jumpers. I looked around and it had almost caught on fire. You can see a spark from the yellow-to-red jumpers.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the passenger window motor is shot. It could also be that the window is getting stuck in the run channel. You can try using some silicone paste in the run channel.

You may want to try thicker gauge wire to do the test, because that thin wire likely will not be able to handle the current draw for the window motor.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 AM

Ok I did a test with paperclips this morning and still couldn't control the window. I don't think it's the run channels. If I take the passenger door panel off, is there a way I can use the meter to test the motor without taking out the regulator or taking too much apart? Is completely removing the regulator the only way to replace the motor?

When I do the paperclips test and push the driver side switch, it seems that I can hear a small click sound coming from something inside the passenger door when I release the switch. Is this anymore of an indication that the motor is bad as opposed to the regulator or anything else? BTW, with the higher gauge paperclips, I do not believe it was sparking off between the yellow to red jumper anymore, but it is daytime now so it's hard to tell.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

The motor and regulator come out as an assembly. Replacing the window motor is not too difficult.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Just came from the salvage yard and I need some help with matching up parts. Will the regulator/motor on a 94 Civic work for a 94 Accord? It looked about the same.

What's confusing is that I called a local parts store for advice on which model and year Hondas have the same reg/motor as the 94 Accord four door and one place said any 90-95 Accords will work, but ONLY from Accords, not Civics.

Well, the regulator assemblies I peeped at from early 90's Accords did not look the same as what I thought they should be, and they appeared to slide on a horizontal rail system. The only one that did look the same was on the 94 Civic. I must say though, I have not taken apart my door so I cannot say how it looks, but from all the videos I have seen on Youtube for 94 Accords, it looked like the one I saw on the 94 Civic.

BTW, is there a way I can lift the window up manually so it's shut for the time being? It's going to rain tomorrow.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bustum
Just came from the salvage yard and I need some help with matching up parts. Will the regulator/motor on a 94 Civic work for a 94 Accord? It looked about the same.

What's confusing is that I called a local parts store for advice on which model and year Hondas have the same reg/motor as the 94 Accord four door and one place said any 90-95 Accords will work, but ONLY from Accords, not Civics.

Well, the regulator assemblies I peeped at from early 90's Accords did not look the same as what I thought they should be, and they appeared to slide on a horizontal rail system. The only one that did look the same was on the 94 Civic. I must say though, I have not taken apart my door so I cannot say how it looks, but from all the videos I have seen on Youtube for 94 Accords, it looked like the one I saw on the 94 Civic.

BTW, is there a way I can lift the window up manually so it's shut for the time being? It's going to rain tomorrow.
It's not confusing, a power window regulator/motor for a Civic and Accord are not the same design and will not fit; whether it is 2, 3, 4 door, etc.

The attached pictures for a 1994 Civic and Accord.

Accord coupe and sedan use different regulators; but, neither is the same as the Civics.

Attached Thumbnails 94 Accord passenger window problem-accord-window-regulator.jpg   94 Accord passenger window problem-civic-regulator.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 PM

Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 PM

disregard that double post, just an accident.

I don't know how, but the car I looked at was definitely a Civic(door jamb area said 02/94 Civic) and did not use the rail system. It was just like the picture for the Accord.

Last edited by bustum; 05-06-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

On the Honda O.E. parts diagrams, all 1994 Civics window regulators do not show any of the same design as the 1994 Accord coupe or sedans.

Even if they are a similar design from a different year Civic, I doubt it will be a direct fit, as the mounting holes for the regulator and motor may not line up.
Additionally, the travel of the window regulator may not go up and down as far as on the Accord.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM

Ok thanks. I guess the most pressing issue is getting this window up before it rains. I have the door exposed now. How can I lift the window and keep it closed?

Quick Reply: 94 Accord passenger window problem