General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 automatic SHIFTER STUCK!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Default 94 automatic SHIFTER STUCK!!

1994 Accord EX Coupe A/T
So as I said in another post, I was screwed over with this car and am forced to live with and fix all these problems. Anyway, another problem has surfaced. Ever since I got the car it was very difficult to shift the car from Park to any other gear. The latest problem started last night but got completely worse this morning. I am stuck in D4. The only way I can turn the car On/Off is by putting it in Neutral and hoping the places I can get to allow me to pull out going forward because I can't even shift to Reverse or back to Park.

I have read other posts but they say they are stuck in Park. That is not my case unless that also applies to me being stuck in D4. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Another side note. I was trying to jiggle/hit the top of the shifter and the little button popped out and broke off. I think it's an easy fix. Looks like there are just 2 screws to pop on a replacement or something...

Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

The normal problem of being stuck in Park really only applies to Park. It's a problem with the interlock solenoid that's SUPPOSED to lock it into park & only release it if you stand on the brakes.

This picture may give some clue how to dismantle the shift lever. Down at the base is a spring-loaded cam that gives some sensation of clicking into each gear. I can only guess that something down there is broken & gets stuck which jams the shift lever.

Another thought... Does it feel like the shift cable (going to the actual tranny) has excessive friction through any motion? The cable might be corroded inside it's sheath??