General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98' Accord Shifter Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 PM
DarkIcarus
Unregistered
Exclamation 98' Accord Shifter Stuck

Hey guys,
My girlfriend has an Automatic 98' Accord, and recently she's been having a problem shifting from Park to Reverse or Drive. She is able to shift after about 2-5 minutes of pumping the brakes. I've stood behind her car and watched he lights and her brake lights only light-up when she is able to shift down to Reverse or Drive and then after that they hardly turn on again when she brakes. I've read that there is a button under the brake pedal that might be stuck, does anyone have any pictures of where this would be located or any links to a DIY thread or page? Hopefully you guys can help out soon. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Your problem is with the brake switch. It is on top of the brake pedal mechanism. I don't think there is anything special to replace it.

I think that you can download a 98 shop manual from the online manuals thread in the DIY section. A Haynes manual would have this too.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 AM
DarkIcarus
Unregistered

I can't find anything for the 98 Accord... I may just be blind...

Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 AM
DarkIcarus
Unregistered

So I went under the brake and I saw the little black button at the top of the brake pedal and when I push the brake it seems to be working fine.

We changed the brake light fuse and the brake lights, so they seem to be coming on a bit more often, but they still don't turn on everytime she hits the brake. The shifter button still isn't working properly, in order to shift into reverse/drive she pretty much looks like she has to brake the thing to shift. So if anyone else can help me out or throw me a direct link to something that can, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.