General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'94 EX Misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Default Fixed!

Though it took me a little bit to get the plugs off of the fuel injectors, and one of the metal clips snapped off and disappeared, it has been fixed!

I cleaned the EGR passages, and were they ever clogged. So clogged in fact, there was a small mound of carbon build up. It took a good 20 minutes just to clean the passages and the gasket themselves.

The fuel injectors, and the fuel injector ports were absolutely covered in carbon, so I cleaned those as well. All of the O-Rings were in good condition, which is definitely a plus. Ahh, there's nothing like having a normal idle again!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails '94 EX Misfire?-20130731_142753_zps7d6cd9cf.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Looks like you may have a lot of blowby from PCV air intake entering engine. Check air intake duct between PCV air intake and throttle body for evidence of oil being depositied (lots of oily dirty gunk).

If you discover lots of oil there are two possibilities; engine is worn and bypass increases due to low intake vacuum level or PCV valve/hose is blocked preventing normal PCV from valve cover to intake manifold.

good luck

Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 PM

Took it for a test drive and there's still a flat spot in third and fourth gear. I'll be replacing the fuel injectors and checking the solenoids to cover all my bases.

Texas; When I was taking the fuel rail off, I removed the hose from the PCV, and noticed there was just a little oil surrounding where the hose connects. Nothing major though. I'll pull the valve, clean it, and see if any gunk comes out of there.

When I clean the IACV, I'll take a look around the throttle body to see if there's any oil and report back.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but the PCV is cheap....replace it. The spring can get weak over time.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Well, I cleaned the IACV, and didn't see any oil. I cleaned the throttle (again) and noticed some gunk come out. I removed the intake tube/snorkel, and noticed there was a little bit of oil inside of it.

I know this next part is a little off topic from the original question (didn't want to annoy with more and more posts), but I do know that erratic idle is one of the culprits from the clogged EGR passages and port.

When I was driving around today, I noticed withe the cold start the idle was hovering between 1000 and 1250. After about two minutes or so, the idle dropped dramatically to 250. This is after cleaning the passages, port, and IACV. There's a very rich fuel odor in the cabin as well.

Did I screw up big time when cleaning? I used carb cleaner, and thoroughly cleaned everything.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Look at rpm gauge closely. 1st mark is 500 rpm. Car won't idle much below that rpm.

Check for leaks on the injector/fuel rail. Easy to get a leak and lot's of fuel spilled.

good luck

Old 08-07-2013, 12:48 PM

It's a little under 500.

Do you think the solenoid I accidentally broke might have something to do with it? The metal clip popped off and some of the plastic chipped off while removing it. It does wiggle a little, but it still connects. Also, could that rich fuel smell be coming from some of the carbon gunk I cleaned off?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:59 PM

What solenoid did you break? IACV solenoid?

You removed injectors so check injector/fuel rail first.

good luck

Old 08-08-2013, 11:52 AM

It's the solenoid that connects to the fuel injector that's broken. Part of the plastic chipped off and the metal clip that holds it in flew off somewhere. The connection is a little loose, but it stays on.

I'll have a look around that area to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Thanks again for all your help, guys!

Old 08-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you're talking about the plastic plug with the spring retaining clip? The solenoid is part of the injector - it doesn't "connect to" the injector.

If you can fix the plug in a way that it holds TIGHTLY together, you're probably OK. Be aware there's a rubber seal that presses against a ridge on the injector body, to keep moisture away from the electrical connection (for corrosion as well as shorting).

Quick Reply: '94 EX Misfire?