General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Honda Accord EX Gets Poor Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 Honda Accord EX Gets Poor Fuel Economy

Hello, I bought a 94 Honda Accord EX Coupe four months ago. It is a 5 Speed Transmission. It had a bad Clutch when I bought it. I changed the Clutch, Oil, Oil Filter, and Spark Plug two weeks after I bought it. It runs well and strong after I replace the Clutch but it gets poor fuel economy. It gets between 115-130 miles per tank only, so what should I do? Please help.

I only have a basic skill about repairing car now but I'm willing to learn how to fix or replace any parts if you have any subjection. I will be appreciated for any subjection you have so thanks for in advace.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is check engine light on or D4 light flashing? If yes, check and provide codes. See DIY section for instructions to pull codes.

Check brakes for dragging brake pads/caliper.

Check wheel alignment and tires. Inflate to 30 psi.

Check for fuel leaks along the fuel rail/injectors, injectors/manifold, and fuel pressure regulator. Fuel leaks can be tricky to spot. Feel and smell sometimes work better. Pull vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator and sniff vacuum line. If you smell gas, the regulator diaphragm is ruptured, and FPR must be replaced.

How many miles? If over 100K, it may be time to change the O2 sensor.

Check base timing of ignition. It should be about 15 deg. BTDC.

good luck

Old 03-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Is check engine light on or D4 light flashing? If yes, check and provide codes. See DIY section for instructions to pull codes.

Check brakes for dragging brake pads/caliper.

Check wheel alignment and tires. Inflate to 30 psi.

Check for fuel leaks along the fuel rail/injectors, injectors/manifold, and fuel pressure regulator. Fuel leaks can be tricky to spot. Feel and smell sometimes work better. Pull vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator and sniff vacuum line. If you smell gas, the regulator diaphragm is ruptured, and FPR must be replaced.

How many miles? If over 100K, it may be time to change the O2 sensor.

Check base timing of ignition. It should be about 15 deg. BTDC.

good luck

Thank you for your subjections. Ok, let's see...No, the Check Engine Light is not on and the D4 is not flashing either. There is no Light on at all. I just changed the Brake Caliper and the front Brake Pads right after I bought it, four months ago. The car has 218xxx miles now and thank you for subjecting about the 02 Senser. I'll change it this weekend to see how it runs.

I checked the following things and there is nothing wrong with them:
1. Brake Calipers, both front and back.
2. Brake Pads.
3. Wheel Alignment
4. Tire pressure - I inflated it to 32 psi for all four tires.

I don't check the following things because I don't know how:
1. Fuel rail/injectors
2. Injectors/manifold
3. Fuel pressure regulator
4. Vaccum line line to fuel pressure regulator
5. Sniff vacuum line.
6. Base Timing of Ignition

I don't smell gas or anything. It smell normal to me. Is there any way I can check or test the above things. Can you tell or show, any links that have pictures or youtube videos, me how to test them? My car is running very heavy so is that normal? Please help.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

1. Fuel rail/injectors
Check the connections between the injector and fuel rail by vision, feel, and smell for leaks. They are on back side of engine on intake manifold.

2. Injectors/manifold
Check injector connection into manifold for firm seating in the oring seal and not loose.

3. Fuel pressure regulator, Vaccum line line to fuel pressure regulator
Remove vacuum line from fuel pressure regulator on fuel rail and sniff vacuum line for fuel. If you smell fuel, the regulator must be replaced.

4. Base Timing of Ignition
Connect timing light to cylinder No 1 (Lead coming from distributor cap has an A or A1 near the cap tower) and shine timing light on timing marker at drivers side of engine. The flash will illuminate the marks on the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer). Timing should show the white mark very near the pointer on the timing belt cover. If it's off considerably, distributor must be loosened and repositioned to correct timing.

Download the 94-97 Accord Manual from the Online Manuals link in the DIY forum.

good luck

Old 03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
1. Fuel rail/injectors
Check the connections between the injector and fuel rail by vision, feel, and smell for leaks. They are on back side of engine on intake manifold.

2. Injectors/manifold
Check injector connection into manifold for firm seating in the oring seal and not loose.

3. Fuel pressure regulator, Vaccum line line to fuel pressure regulator
Remove vacuum line from fuel pressure regulator on fuel rail and sniff vacuum line for fuel. If you smell fuel, the regulator must be replaced.

4. Base Timing of Ignition
Connect timing light to cylinder No 1 (Lead coming from distributor cap has an A or A1 near the cap tower) and shine timing light on timing marker at drivers side of engine. The flash will illuminate the marks on the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer). Timing should show the white mark very near the pointer on the timing belt cover. If it's off considerably, distributor must be loosened and repositioned to correct timing.

Download the 94-97 Accord Manual from the Online Manuals link in the DIY forum.

good luck

TexasHonda;232772, thank you so much for your kindness, help, advice, and subjection. I'll try to download the Manual and do as you subject and if I don't get it then I'll come back here to ask you again. Again, thank you.