General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 lx manual shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Default 94 lx manual shifting issues

Hi, i'm new to the forum so i hope that this post and it's location are appropriate. i have a 1994 accord lx wagon manual transmission with just under 200,000 miles. i've owned the car for almost 4 years and have done a few repairs myself but am not too experienced with auto repair.

For the past 6-8 months this problem has slowly but consistently become worse: when the car is cold, engine off, i can shift into any gear easily - clutch in or out. when i start the engine, in neutral, and push the clutch i am unable to go into any gear. it will feel like it's gonna go into reverse but then just grinds(reverse doesn't have synchro?? not sure what this means) if i put the car into any gear and then start the engine, it become locked in that gear and the car will even lurch forward/backward despite the clutch being depressed. i am able to shift into first - engine off - then start the engine and begin driving immediately. once i have been driving for a bit shifting becomes easier and easier. i've done a bit of research and it's sounding like my "master slave and cylinder" may need replacing. I'm unfamiliar with these components but am really hoping that this is the issue and it's not something to do with the actual transmission or clutch. opinions/ideas/info/critique would be much appreciated.
cheers,
-Tim

Old 08-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the clutch is dragging, which could be air in the clutch hydraulic lines. Bleed the clutch.