General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 manual ... clutch or tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Default 94 manual ... clutch or tranny?

Hi all,

Ok ... 94 accord, manual transmission and no idea if the clutch has ever been replaced (200k kms, I've owned it since 186k). My step son was driving it home from work, pulling hard in second to merge onto the highway. He lost all power to the wheels but the engine's running fine. No noise when he lost power but he said he did get a bit of a nasty smell (clutch probably?). When I went out to pick him up, I was able to run the shifter through the complete range of gears without engaging the clutch pedal with the engine running, pedal was a bit stiffer than normal but won't engage at all in an gear. Master and slave cylinders replaced 3 months ago, fluid is full and clean.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

WELCOME newbie!

Description is confusing because you press the clutch pedal down to DISengage the clutch. So you can shift with the engine running WITHOUT pressing the clutch pedal?

Try running the engine, in gear, clutch pedal NOT pressed. When you do this, what does the speedometer do?

If the speedometer stays at zero, then it would be the clutch. Strange that it would be so sudden & complete; normally they begin slipping gradually. Something broke? Maybe the hub of the clutch disk?

It could be the shift linkage or the shifter mechanism in the transmission. So the shift lever moves, but it doesn't really engage the gears. The actual transmission is still in neutral.

If the speedometer DOES run up, then maybe an axle has popped out from the differential?