General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 11:19 AM
cclc31
Unregistered
Default 94 speedometer not working

Hello to all. I saw a lot of people asking questions about the speedometer not working but I did not see any posted results. I changed my Variable Speed Sensor and it still does not work. Are there any solutions to this problem. Does any one have a real fix? I have guessed a few things but I would like to get it fixed so if you have any solutions please feel free to help me out. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Default RE: 94 speedometer not working

You told me that you replaced it at a dealer, however I wonder how did they apprehend it?? did they replaced the sensor because thats what you wanted them to do ? or They have diagnosed the problem and find out that VSS infact is faulty??

In any case - I would assume that even though it didnt work - they must have offered to diagnose the problem further.!?

Because you checked the connecters and they all pluged proper, I would lean toward an open wire somewhere (like a loose connection) or the other possibility is Faulty ECU , however these are just assumptions - Unfortunately, more diagnostics are needed inorder to find out the problem.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:18 PM
cclc31
Unregistered

When the problem came up, I took the car to the dealer and was told by the dealer that it was the VSS. I purchased the VSS from a dealership in California and has it installed in the dealership in Germany where I am stationed at. When I gave them the VSS and had it changed out it still did not work and now they are telling me that it is the speedometer which cost around $300. This is why I asked if anyone had any results on the repair of the speedometer. Thanks for you quick response and your advice. Thanks

Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 PM

It is very sad that even in Germany people are getting screwed by the dealerships [:'(]

There is very simple procedure to test the speed sensor - and it has to be executed before replacing the VSS.

That is why we charge $65 diagnostic fee - without making customer buying unnececary parts.

Check the ground G101 - it is located to the left of the master cylinder - this ground grounds the VSS. Clean it - regrease it and see if it works.

If you a little proficient with diagnostics - heres how to run a quick test on VSS :

1. Check the fuse #1. (10A)

2. Disconnect the 3 pin connector from VSS

3. turn the ignition switch ON

4. If you look inside the connector with the clamp being on top - the wires in side ORANGE - BLACK - YELLOW

* Check black to continuity to the ground - there should be continuity
* check Yellow wire for voltage to the ground - there should voltage
* check Orange wire for voltage to the ground - there should be about 5 Volts.

And check for voltage between Yellow terminal and Black terminal - is there a voltage (ignition Switch ON)

if you get to this point we might diagnose further....

Certain check up procedures are to be made before replacing the speedometer - The speeedometer part is not repairable thus needs to be replaced as whole - $300 is about right price off a dealer -

Just if you decide to replace it - make an arrangment that you will only agree to pay the price if it fixes the problem.

...And that is pretty much all what i can help you with here. (More actual diagnostics needed)

good luck! Aufiderzein!