General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 accord ex mt speedo and odometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Default 95 accord ex mt speedo and odometer problems

my speedometer and odometer and trip meter stop working.......i changed my vss but nothing changed actually my engine light came on the code read 17 which is speed sensor ....idk smh ....when i turn my key to acc the speedometer goes to 20 mph and stays there also wen i start the car. also i have a automatic cluster layin around will it work in a manual car
i have a 95 accord ex 5 speed

Old 02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Yes an automatic cluster will work, And if you take the cover off the manual one it will hide the automatic gear lights.

The odometers breaking is a somewhat common problems in the 94-97s, but I'm not sure you should have a code for a speed sensor.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the speedometer was your problem to begin with. You could have verified a good VSS if the cruise control worked, when the speedometer wasn't working.

Anyway, you will have to figure out why the VSS is setting a code.

To repair the original problem:
You can take apart the cluster and swap speedometers to keep the MT cluster.

You can also try repairing the solder joints on the back of the broken speedometer to keep your correct mileage. Not sure if you are good with solder.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

There may be several things going on here.

The odometer is mechanical on your model Accord. Use your key and press the Maintenance Required Indicator reset several times to try to get it working again. This usually works, as the odometer just gets stuck.

For the speedometer, it commonly is the speedometer circuit board if it is not the VSS. (Like PAhonda stated, the cruise control will not work if the VSS is not working. The VSS will also set the check engine light.) Many times the solder on the circuit board just needs to have the solder joints re-soldered. The only thing is that there is glue over one area of solder joints that some say is the cause of the problem. Another way is just to replace the circuit board from a used speedometer. This way you keep the original odometer mileage reading.

I'll post something with a picture of the circuit board in a little while. It easily pulls off once you take the instrument cluster out.

Attached Thumbnails 95 accord ex mt speedo and odometer problems-maintenance-required-indicator.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM

i swapped the original steering wheel with a momo so i guess i have no cruise control but i had this problem before i did this

Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a link showing the picture of the speedometer circuit board. If you look closely at some of the pictures I posted there, there is glue over several rows of solder joints (those are for chips on the board).

honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2460328

When removing the cluster, you need to take off the center console; but, you do not need to disconnect/remove the climate control, I usually leave it on and hanging. (The Honda factory service manual also says to disconnect/remove the climate control only if necessary.) I never had to disconnect/remove the climate control.

Last edited by redbull-1; 02-03-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Correction of some info.