General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord has fits !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Vialas
Unregistered
Default 95 Accord has fits !!!

Hi everyone, you may be unaware, i am new to the forum and new to Cars. i have also just come across my first Accord problem

i just bought a honda accord EXi '95 and everything was going fine till a few weeks ago....

Basically the problem is when i open , or lock the car (it has central locking, but not remote) the door opens / locks fine, however the lock motor (i think) spasms and you can hear it trying to open or close the locks (however the lock remains in the state it was in)

this is quite intermittent, sometimes it wont happen at all, and other times it will go for what seems like a whole minute!

any ideas as to what's going on? Much appreciated

thanks for your help , in advance

Vialas

Old 03-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 95 Accord has fits !!!

It's the door lock actuator in the door. It an electric motor that unlocks and locks the door when you use the remote or switch inside the car. What you are hearing are possibly stripped gears or a rubber bumper that came loose inside the actuator. They cost about $45 for an OEM one online and aren't too difficult for an auto-savvy friend of yours to replace.

Do a search on here for "lock actuator" and you should find some threads with instructions I wrote a few months back.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Vialas
Unregistered

Thanks for the welcome and reply.
so do i need to replace the 'actuator' in all the doors? because i think the sound is comeing from all of them?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:22 PM

You shouldn't need to. Have someone lock and unlock the door while you listen at each door.

Replacing the actuator is a tedious process since there isn't much working space. I highly recommend using a mirror and taking the window out.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Vialas
Unregistered

Thanks for that mate, well to be honest, taking out the window.... thats prob too difficult for me, i dont know anything about cars :$
i guess ill just put up with it :$ or get a shop to fix it

Thanks so much for your help

Old 03-11-2008, 04:29 PM

It's really not that difficult to DIY. Roll the window down until the bolts line up with the bolt holes and then use a 10mm socket on an extension to remove the bolts, slide the window up and remove it. If you have a shop do it, they shouldn't charge more thna half an hour to an hour of labor, if they do yell at them because its a quick job.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Vialas
Unregistered

thanks for your help mate, much appreciated, ill let ya know how i go (and if i got to the shop, how much they charge me)

Cheers

Vialas

Old 03-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

I did the driver's side actuator on my 95, and finch is right, it is tight in there. I didn't have to take out my window to get the job done. I might have unbolted the window track to make some room on that side of the door. It took me abouit an hour, because I had to do it all by touch. I couldn't easily see back there.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Vialas
Unregistered

just an update... just now i checked to see if i could identify wich door was having a 'fit' i have concluded that every door is fitting!!!

i even held my hand near each of the doors, as i got a friend to open and close the lock, and every one spasmed... is this a electrical fault...

im quite worried that one day all my doors wont open anymore :

Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 AM

It's unlikely for 4 actuators to die at the same time. Check your battery terminals and grounds to make sure that there is a good enough electrical path. Especially the chasis ground from the battery.