General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 accord lx 2.2 non vtech wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Default 95 accord lx 2.2 non vtech wont start

ok i posted on here a while back that i was getting no spark on my 95 2.2 non vtech turns out that the cam had siezed in the head and the cam pulley was turning without turning the camshaft so i got a new head (actually a junkyard head with low miles) new head gasket and timing belt im trying to start it with the timing covers off also the alt is not hooked up i dont think that would stop it from starting though but this is my first honda anyway i got spark and im getting fuel to the rail but the car still wont start ive tried using the cam sensor that came with the jy head also tried the one out of the bad head as well and still wont start so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you

Old 11-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

"Cam sensor"? What cam sensor?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 PM

o do these not have camshaft position sensors? im really not too familiar with hondas. it was the sensor that was next to the coolant temp sens i assumed it was a cam sensor. if they dont have cam sensors then what controlls injector pulse?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

CKP, CYP, & TDC sensors are all inside the distributor. Did you use your old distributor? Or did the boneyard distributor come from the same year/version? Honda changed those sensors a little bit over the next few years.

Look for dirty/loose/corroded wiring harness plugs at the distributor.

In the end of the cylinder head (below the distributor) are 2 water-temperature sensors. One with the single wire is for the dashboard gauge. The 2-wire sensor is for the ECU. Neither one of those will kill the spark.

Read any error codes (check-engine light codes). Should be some instructions in the DIY section. Basically you find a 2-wire connector under the glovebox or someplace like that. Short it with a paperclip & watch the CEL flash it's code.

Also... I think there should be a cluster of ground wires bolted onto the thermostat housing. Any of them loose or broken?

And check for battery-voltage at the black/yellow wire at the distributor. (Hope I remembered the proper color...)

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-29-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM

i have spark and i have fuel at the rail i was trying to find out if i have injector pulse without pulling them out

Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Injector pulses are also based on the 3 sensors in the distributor. But if you have spark, then I suppose those sensors are OK.

Each injector has a plug with 2 wires. One wire on each plug is the same color (black/yellow??) and that wire is supposed to have battery voltage when the key is ON. Check that with a multi-meter.

The ECU closes the ground side of each injector to fire it. You could unplug an injector & put a test-lamp into the wire. Then crank & watch for it to flash. Or get a test thingie - I think it's called a "noid" light??? Plug it inbetween the injector and it's wire.

If your injectors are firing but engine isn't starting, you'll probably be able to smell fuel at the tailpipe after cranking a bit. Or take out a spark plug to verify fuel getting into the cylinders.