General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 accord lx engine "chugging" at low rpms help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Default 95 accord lx engine "chugging" at low rpms help!

i just sent my car in to replace a blown head gasket and replace the distributor module, and i just got the car back and it starts and idles fine but once you give it a little gas (just over 1000rpms) its starts jumping like its "choking" or "chugging". its really jumpy when i accelerate but once i get about 25mph it drives ok for a little while then the rpms just drop back down to 700 and drastically slows the car down, I jumped the wires under the dash and it gave me an idle air control valve code, so i replaced it and still same problem i cant figure it out any help would be appreciated (i checked the coil, the spark plugs, air intake leaks, the mass airflow sensor)

its a 95 accord lx wagon 2.2 4cyl. auto trans.

Last edited by the_tensl; 06-17-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

So you still have code 14 (IACV circuit fault)? If yes, then problem is likely not the IACV, but the connector, wiring, or ECM. Work done recently (head gasket) has lots of potential to damage wiring and cause this code.

Check wiring carefully and test wiring from ECM to IACV for continuity.

A missing ground from engine to throttle body could might also cause this problem.

good luck

Old 06-17-2014, 01:48 PM

yeah thats exactly what i was thinking cos it ran fine before i took it in but the distributor mod went out and someone told me since water was coming out of my exhaust pipe i had a blown head gasket so i just replaced that as well i took it too a college to get it done and i feel like they didnt connect something properly cos there was a few loose bolts here and there so im gonna go and check that thanks alot