General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Default Timing belt replacement

Have 2002 Honda accord V6 3.0 engine 95000 km, that I will be replacing the timing belt on. I am having difficulty determing what parts are on this vehicle, specifically:

Pulleys, do we have 2, 3 or 4? Tensor pulley, idler pulley, adjustor pulley and hydraulic pulley. I understand all pulley should be replaced as well as the water pump.

Tensior, auto tensior, and timing tensior are these one in the same?

Seals - one dealer recommened changing seals - 2 cam seals, 1 crank seal ($235.00), also someone else mentioned cam seal, balancer seal, crank seal and all pump drive seal. What is the correct name(s) for seals on this vehicle?

One dealer talked about replacing idler bearings and tensior bearings, all other dealers never heard of these except one who stated yes they are in the middle of the timing belt? Heard of above bearings?

Also plan on changing the Serpentine belt and power steering belt.

Any other components that should be changed while in that area?

Recommendations/advice appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 06-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First, get a Honda shop manual so you know exactly what your repair requires and have a reference. Suggest automanualsource.com for a $22 download manual.

You should replace idler, water pump, and belt tensioner. There is one belt tensioner and one belt idler to be replaced.

Seal replacement will get varying opinions but they are not scheduled maintenance items and suggest you only change them if they were leaking. It is easy to create a problem where none exists. Only seals I see are two camshaft seals and one crankshaft seal.

Many run into problems breaking the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt. It is very tight and will require a powerful air impact or two good quality breaker bars, cheater pipe, and honda pulley restraint tool to manually break. I found that preheating bolt head w/ propane torch for 5 mins enabled my 1/2" Ingersol Rand impact to break the bolt loose. Suggest viewing youtube videos on the subject to understand how difficult breaking this bolt loose can be.

good luck