General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Accord Speedo Intermitant

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Default 95 Accord Speedo Intermitant

Cruise Control always work. Without solder the speedo circuit board the Speed always stay in 20 mph when I turn on the key. After solder the circuit board it comes to zero when key is turned on. Right now the speed problem is intermittent. Sometime is work sometime it does not. I believe this is the connection problem. Is anyone know which connector and which pin in the instrument cluster for speed control and where it goes to? I can not see it in the shop manual. Your help will be appreciated. Thank you for your reply.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

If you're willing to try, this may be a possible fix:

Possible fix for 95-97 Accord speedometer circuit board - Honda-Tech

Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Default I got the answer

I found the circuit diagram of the instrument cluster. The vss to the speedometer is C12 orange wire. Vss has two wires; one goes to cruise control unit, another one goes to speedometer. If the cruise control works that means the vss is working. Definitely my car's problem should be the speedometer circuit board. Some people mentioned that some of the pin mold with epoxy has problem. I did not solder that area. I will do to see what happen.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

The solder joints with the glue/epoxy is not the problem.

But if you want to remove the glue/epoxy, use a heat gun or hair dryer and heat the area up, then use a utility knife or x-actor knife to gently lift it off. Do a small area at a time, and the glue will lift off/break-out easily. Be careful with the knife to not accidently cut into any of the circuit board traces.

My picture in that thread shows the glue/epoxy removed.

Last edited by redbull-1; 03-31-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Why don't you just buy a new cluster, they are not much money.
I have one for sale from a 97 Auto if you need.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 AM

I had this problem on my 96' Honda. I went to the junkyard and got a new circuit board, replaced it with the old one and haven't had a problem since.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Default Problem fixed

Thank you for all of the help. It is hard to remove the epoxy. Since my problem is intermittent, I do not think the solder in that area is the problem. Then I checked how the signal transfer from outside to inside I found the problem. The signal transfers from the screw area contact. Some one mentioned to re-solder the screw area and fix the problem. I found inside metal is the problem. I clean that area and put the solder to make the contact better and install back. Test drive. It is back to normal.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Can you post a picture of what you did?

This is a common problem and a DIY fix would be great.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 AM

This is outside board at speedometer area.

This is speedometer circuit board.

The design of this instrument cluster is to use the screw to pass the current and signal from the outside board to the speedometer circuit board. Most of the speedo problem is caused by the contact of those four hole area. Look at the speedometer circuit board picture. You can see those area that I put the solder. I suggest you do not use solder like me because it burned my board. What you can do is to use the fine sand paper and sand it a little bit. Do not sand too much it may damage the contact surface. Then use the flat screw driver pop those four leaves of metal of each hole a little bit up. Also make sure the screw is clean. I believe it will fix your speedo problem. The reason is the vibration loose the screw a little bit and cause the spark in those area and caused the contact problem. Good luck.