General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord still idling bad after all this??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Default 95 Accord still idling bad after all this??

Hello,

First off, this is my first post here and im very happy to see such an awesome forum for Honda's!

So here's a description of my problem, if I leave anything out please let me know..

My Accord is idling very low under load (in drive). So low that it dies at stop signs sometimes. (Im talkin 300rpm) This only happens under normal running temp. I first tried adjusting my idle screw and it didnt do anything. At all. (Note: it was covered with silicone so im guessing it has never been touched). Then I tried completely cleaning my IAC valve, which btw was completely gummed up and im suprised anything could flow through it. No luck. Then I pulled my throttle body completely off and that was dirtier then your mom. That seemed to help a little but only when my car isnt under load. Being in drive still made it idle low. So then I thought there could be a vacuum leak. Tested the entire engine by spraying every crease with intake cleaner. Especially around the intake manifold. No vacuum leak. No luck.

Im at a road block now... Bad IAC valve? Thats the only other thing I could think of...

Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds very much like the egr ports are clogged, but then I have to ask when the last tune up was done?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 AM

What specifically do you mean by tune up? Because I maintain it regularly. Like almost do work on it twice a week just about. Ive changed plugs, wires, oil pan gasket, valve head gasket, welded new exhaust pipe, oil has been changed every 3000 miles on the dot. It does need new tranny fluid but that shouldnt affect the idle.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 AM

Ill look into cleaning the EGR ports tomorrow since its almost midnight here. Ill let you know what that does.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Only things not on your list....cap and rotor?

Sorry should have listed the items in a basic tune up(cap, rotor, plugs, inspect wires, air filter).

There is a good write up in the "Common DIY Threads" sticky at the top of this section about cleaning the egr ports/chamber

Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Quick question.. Probably an obvious one but im clueless.. After I drill the EGR ports out is there something else I need to put in there when its clean?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the DIY on the 94-97. Watch the video linked in there as well. Your 95 does not have the plugs that you need a slide hammer to remove. All you do is remove a plate to access the EGR ports.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...56/#post245852

Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Perfect, I plan on tackling this tomorrow as I have to get new vacuum hoses because I just noticed mine are all cracked and I figured I should just change them while they are off. Also a new EGR valve gasket too. You can never go wrong with replacing gaskets each time they are removed. Ill be back on tomorrow to let you guys know how it works out.

Note: I tried adjusting my timing out of curiosity today and it was set at TDC (idk why?) so I set it to 15 BTDC and that helped a little until it started dying again under load at stop signs as soon as I un-looped my comp. Oddly enough keeping it looped made it run better.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Did you adjust the timing with the service connector shorted?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Did you use a timing light with the advance-dial? If so, then you can do it 2 different ways...

1) Set the advance dial to ZERO and set timing to the spark-timing mark on the crank pulley (middle of 3).

2) Set the advance dial to 15-degrees and set timing to the TDC mark (single mark by itself).

If you set 15-degrees AND use the spark-timing mark, then you have set your base timing to 30-degrees.

Quick Reply: 95 Accord still idling bad after all this??