General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default 95 brake problems

I have a 95 accord 2.2 vtec automatic sedan . My daily driver. And I've always had my brake pedal bleed off when I'm sitting in traffic the pedal will slowly start going to the floor. It never bothered me I just left off and it has full pedal. But now they quit bleeding off and now my front brake are dragging while I'm driving and the pedal is alot harder then usual. I'm think it has to be the master cylinder which was causing them to bleed off but now their locking off could that be the master cylinder also? It doesn't leak any fluid and I've bled the brake several times. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

The pedal sinking slowly & smoothly to the floor under low or moderate pressure is classic for a bad master cylinder. Often seems to happen more with higher under-hood temperatures.

The master cylinder isn't leaking OUT. It's leaking back into its own reservoir so you don't lose any fluid inventory.

But the dragging brakes & maybe locking seem unrelated to that. I would say that's a new problem. But it might be as simple as corrosion binding the pads in the caliper bracket, or gunky caliper-slide-pins.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Well its not leaking off now the pedal stays solid. After 3 years of a bad master cylinder. But now their dragging bad. It's both fronts they both happened at the same time when the master cylinder quit bleeding off.

Is there anyway to test the calipers?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Not so much a "test" of the calipers, but take the pads out, clean em, make sure they fit OK. And clean & grease the slide pins. Just make everything work good mechanically.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I bought new pads and replaced them with the rattle clips greased them good and my passenger side caliber was very difficult to push in. It did move but it was very hard compared to the driver side. Does that mean it's damaged or bad. It did move. Is there anyway to grease them inside or should it be replaced even though it moved.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Corrosion can develop around the piston and cause the piston not to relax when brake pressure is removed. This results in dragging brakes. Fix is to replace the caliper.

It is possible to rebuild a caliper, but a substantial effort. I would go w/ a replacement part or used part.

good luck

Old 09-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Okay thanks I'm gonna get a used one this weekend and see if it helps. I have a local self pull junk yard. What should I look for when trying to find a good used caliper. If I take my C clamp to the junk yard and find one that moves in easily. I don't want to buy a new one and it work better then the old one that's perfectly fine. Cause then I'll have to buy another one for that side and 2 brand new calipers are expensive

Last edited by jroxz44; 09-12-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Look for a caliper w/ good dust boot. Absence of boot is one reason for corrosion of piston. It should compress w/ moderate pressure from tool (c-clamp).

good luck