General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Lx Vibration under a load

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Default 95 Lx Vibration under a load

Hey Guy's well I'm here again for some experianced thoughts on the old 95. The car has been good to me but this one has me a bit stumpped so far? The car runs fairly smooth under excelleration but seems to be getting a vibration under a load. It started on the Highway at 65 when I hit a slight grade in cruise the front end (wheel will shimmy back and forth) it wasn't to bad but as time goes on its getting worse! This is on the passenger side of the car. Any idea where to start?
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member

did you check your motor mounts? the rear ones run on a vaccume i beleive. and when you say vibration on the highway i think of alignment right away , or broken belt in your tires, my car does the same but its only at exactly 65mph speed, but i know it needs aligned. it does it uphill and downhill. u can hear the pass tire shimmying. maby time for an alignment or some tires. u can also check your tie rod ends and ball joints for play. they can sometimes cause a shimmy. does the whole car shake or mainly the stearing wheel?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Another thing for vibration under load is the inboard CV joints in the drive-axles. Grab the axle & try to wobble it sideways. If there's looseness at the inboard joint, that could be it.

- by sideways I don't mean sideways to the car. I mean grab the axle & wobble it up & down or fore & aft with respect to the car. Sideways with respect to the axle centerline.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM

Well I'm leaning toward that inboard Cv joint but can't rule out the front end or even a bad tire? If it is the Cv would you recommend the matched set? Really don't want to spend a whole lot on the car but I do want to keep it mechanically sound for the 70 mile daily trek!
I will give the go through again this weekend since it's a long one and see if I can pin point it. When you talk about the motor mounts being run on vac.?? Not sure what you mean?
The shimmy only happens when the car is accelerating up a slight grade and only seems to be in the wheel itself and from the front left wheels?? The care does have close to 220k so anything is possible? I know that I had the front end checked and aligned about 8k ago and it got a clean bill of health from one of the very best in the buisness. I has a set of Goodyear all Seasons that I payed plenty for but they are begining to show there age as well?.?... Anyone know the proper procedure to check those motor mount's??
Thanks

Last edited by schoust; 01-15-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

You can check for a bad tire by moving your tires around. Does the vibration move to a different corner of the car??

If you can figure out which axle is loose, you don't HAVE to replace both. Just be aware that they are both the same age with the same miles, so it's not a bad prediction for the other one to start vibrating before TOO long.

Check the suspension parts by trying to shake & wiggle things while the car is up in the air. Just make sure it's properly supported so it doesn't come down on you. But your shop probably already checked that.

Last edited by JimBlake; 01-15-2013 at 05:12 PM.