General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 Transmission Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '95 Transmission Troubles

Hi guys.

So I've been having some problems with my beloved Wendy (My accord, don't ask)

A few weeks ago, on my way to take an exam, my accord's check engine light came on and the car kinda bucked for a second, sorta felt like it downshifted. A few moments after that D4 started blinking and it felt very rough while idling. So I limp it to class and go take my test and when I got out hours later the car started right up and ran fine until two days ago. Unfortunately, now it's started doing the same thing again.

I pulled the TCU code 14 (Linear (line pressure control) solenoid open or shorted.) this afternoon. It's sucking down gas at a ridiculous rate; quarter of a tank in 25-30 miles. Sometimes, around 3rd gear I think, it sputters and/or hunts for a few seconds too. I have a feeling that could be contributed to just acceleration, though. The longer it's on in that state the rougher the idle feels. I didn't want to drive it, but I had obligations.

What should I do next? I understand a faulty ECU is my problem, most likely. I'm on a super tight budget, though. Could this just be something unplugged? I recently had a radiator transplant.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by JSDurbin; 01-05-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I remember one more thing, it might be connected or it's own issue.

Before the first incident mentioned above, the car would sometimes rev all by itself, but only in either park or neutral. It'd jump between 1000 and 2000 RPM as I recall from my hazy memory. I'm not sure about those numbers, but it was within that range of movement. It was pretty rapid too. Once I shifted into drive or reverse it would subside.

Thanks again guys.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Did the code come from the CEL or the D4 light? I ask because the code 14 from the CEL is related to the idle issue......IAC being dirty, low coolant or air in coolant can and will cause the idle to bounce around.

Is the fluid in the trans at the proper level? Has it been changed on a regular schedule?

With the radiator replacement, check the connectors around the shift and lock up solenoids, and the main and counter shaft sensors.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It was D4 blinking.

About those connectors around the shift and lockup along woth the main and counter shaft sensors where are they and what I should be looking for with them? I've tried searching along for that on the web but can't find much.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'll post some photographs later. Maybe that'll help.

EDIT:
Name:  mv0lP.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  123.7 KB
Name:  jPqMv.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  131.7 KB

So should I be looking at that two pronged(?) unit in the center of the first photo? The one with the green and yellow wire? What else around there? How do I test them and what should I be looking for that could be wrong?

Thanks. If these photos is useless I can take another. It looks kinda odd because I forgot to turn of HDR mode on my camera.

Last edited by JSDurbin; 12-18-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The car was handed down to me so I can't speak on how it was maintained, but I suspect it wasn't treated right. Let's assume that. I havent owned it for long.

I just checked the tranny fluid and I dont see much (really nothing) on the cross hatched section. I checked multiple times and it came out the same everytime. I did see some black fluid on the bottom tip of the stick. I know this isn't good at all. I'll get fluids in it next morning.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The 2 wire sensor connector in the top pic is the coolant temp sensor...It switches the cooling fan on and off.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by bigpat
The 2 wire sensor connector in the top pic is the coolant temp sensor...It switches the cooling fan on and off.
What I crudely circled below is the coolant temp sensor? Maybe you're looking at the wrong thing. My photos are borderline useless anyway, so I can't blame you.

Name:  GHjQ0.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  128.7 KB

Anyway, if this is one of the solenoids (with another near identical unit below pointed at with an arrow) what should I be doing to check it? A little poking around showed that everything is still connected and in one piece.

Where do I go from here.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Almost A Senior Member

OOOPS..I was looking at the thermostat housing/2 wire coolant temp sensor. Yes, your bottom pic does show the solenoids circled. I don't know how to check them eiether...

Old 12-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest looking in the Common DIY Threads at the top and getting a manual, not only for the location but the testing as well.

Attached Thumbnails '95 Transmission Troubles-5th-gen-trans-sensor.jpg  

Quick Reply: '95 Transmission Troubles