General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95jdm h22 in 96 sedan. how can i make it read from the obdII conector.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Default 95jdm h22 in 96 sedan. how can i make it read from the obdII conector.

Please help me out guys. Here's the deal. I have a 96accord ex with a 95 jdm h22. It won't pass emissions here in CT because it won't read thru the obdII conector since the engine and comp are obdI. I've had the car taken away three times because I can't register it and now they took my plates away and suspended my license because I've been driving like that since Sept 08 so now the car's just sitting since Jan six. I have lots of money invested in a lawn ornament. Jdm h22 engine and LSD tranny, beautiful tint job, $6,000 on sound system, $400-500 on the wires alone, three cvr's 12"s two 10" EV's custom mounted on rear deck and eclipse speakers in the front, walborro 255 fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and gauge, V6 leather interiors, hid's, $900+ clutch kit with cromolybendium 12 pound flywheel, 18s w/ 215/35 front and 235/40 in the back, 2.5 inch drop all around w/ tokiko shocks and eiback springs, strut tower brace, full exhaust w/ heathers and 2.5 all the way, cross drilled rotors... that's all I can remember off the top of my head.
The car runs great and compared to before the swap it pulls well. I know the car has lots more potential but seems like a waste now that its just sitting there. It kills me to see it every day.
Please help me solve this issue or I'm going to have to sell it.
Thanks in advanced for your help.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I hate to break it to you but there really isn't much you can do about it. The obd1 engine/ecu just doesn't have what the inspection computer is looking for.

Your best bet is to make friends with someone who works at an inspection place.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:25 PM

I do have a friend that works on emissions but he said the only thing I could do was find someone with a black 4dr 96 ex like mine and put my plate on it and he could input the vin manually. If there's anyone here that meets that criteria and is able to pass emissions I wouldnt mind giving them a couple bucks for helping me out.
The other thing was my father mentioned to me that if I put a hondata p28 and chip and tune the car with a fake after cat signal and add the needed wiring to the harness which I should be able to do, it would pass. Problem is, I don't want to spend the money on the comp and tunning ($1,000+) if I'm not sure its going to work.
If there's anyone that can help me or has other ideas please let me know.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

In order for you to set up your car for emissions testing, you are going to need a working 96 prelude ECU in your car, because that is the only one that is OBDII. You will have to get the ECU that matches your engine (i.e. an EX ECU will only work properly with an EX engine)

It could simple to do, depending on how your H22 conversion was done on your car, and I am not familiar with that swap. Did you do that swap? What parts were used from your accord in the swap? More specifically, what wiring harness was used on your car (your 96 accord or 95 prelude) and how was is plugged into the ECU? Was a conversion harness used?

Also, what exhaust system was used in your accord? Does your current exhaust system have two O2 sensors?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
In order for you to set up your car for emissions testing, you are going to need a working 96 prelude ECU in your car, because that is the only one that is OBDII. You will have to get the ECU that matches your engine (i.e. an EX ECU will only work properly with an EX engine)

It could simple to do, depending on how your H22 conversion was done on your car, and I am not familiar with that swap. Did you do that swap? What parts were used from your accord in the swap? More specifically, what wiring harness was used on your car (your 96 accord or 95 prelude) and how was is plugged into the ECU? Was a conversion harness used?

Also, what exhaust system was used in your accord? Does your current exhaust system have two O2 sensors?
The car used to be my father's and I bought it off of him.we did the swap ourselves at home. It was mostly a drop and play type setup mechanically speaking since the h22 and f22 are basically the same block on the exterior. We did have to use the accord intake manifold and I belive only one of the motor mounts changebecause of how it sits in the engine bay,its up higher in the accord. The 96 accord harness was spliced and some things had to be rerouted, added or eliminated but my father took care of that. Yes we used an obdII to obdI converter plug. The car has a full custom made 2.5" exhaust w/ high flow cat I belive but only the precat o2 bongis there the post cat o2plug is there but not being used.