General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord Belt noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Default 96 Accord Belt noise

Recently I have started to notice a sounds coming from one of my belts not too sure wich belt. It sounds like a belt is scraping something around it or as if the belt is really loose. As for now im not driving my car, I dont want a belt to snap on me while im driving. Also when im inside the car and start the engine up I hear the sound from inside my car. At first it was just a small tick now it sounds a little more notcible. Im hoping its nothing major. Could it be I just need to get my valves re adjusted ? Or maybe I just need a new belt ? The sound , sounds like its coming from the timing belt. Here is a video of the sound.if it helps at all.. Thanks... Any help would be appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Fh...e_gdata_player

Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

To me. yea there is a bearing going bad on "something". If you don't have a stepathscope, or can't make something work, then I would remove the drive belts and start the car (wp driven by t-belt, so you can do this). If the noise is not there then you know it is in the alt, ps or compressor......if still there, well you have to go in under the tb cover to see if it is the wp, tensioner or what......

Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 PM

I had a similar noise in my 98 Accord. The tensioner for the timing belt had failed, and the belt was slapping the cover. It didn't sound exactly like that, but you mentioned that it might be timing belt/wp related.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 PM

Ok so I narrowed the noise down. Its coming from the Ac compressor. It sounds like a bearing inside is going bad. Also the crankshaft pulley kind of wobbles . Is that going to need to get repleaced as well ? Last thing can just buy new bearings for the ac compressor. Or do I have to buy the whole new piece .

Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If the crankshaft pulley is wobbling, you need to replace the pulley (called harmonic balancer crankshaft pulley). Crankshaft pulley bolt is very hard to remove. Special tools required or powerful air impact plus bolt heating.

AC clutch bearing is likely failing. Easy quick fix is to get the shorter belt for non-AC accord to bypass the compressor.

AC compressor can be fixed w/o discharging the AC system, but will require removal of Alternator and PS to access compressor. Release compressor from bracket and reposition slightly to allow access to clutch assembly. Remove clutch plate. Remove circlip holding clutch pulley and tap off w/ hammer. Bearing can be removed/replaced, or you can purchase a new clutch coil w/ bearing. A download manual from Online Manuals post in DIY forum is recommended unless you have a shop manual.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 AM

Sorry for the late response been busy with work and school.

What would be cheaper. To replace the whole ac compressor ? Or to just repleace the bearing with a new clutch coil ? What happens if I just remove the bearing ?

What do you mean I can get a shorter belt for non Ac accord to by pass the compresor ? I went to Autozone earlier today and the ASE certified guy told me the exact thing about the shorter belt. But I really dint understood what he meant.

I kind of have an idea of what your saying... Im not to sure.
So if I do this I wont have any Ac ?
Because honestly i dont care if my Ac works.

Is it safe to keep driving the car like this

What would you recommend ?

And thanks again for all the help.... I really appreciate it..

Last edited by efster421; 04-16-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The lowest cost repair is repair in place because you don't have to discharge the AC system.

The lowest cost "fix" is to use the shorter accessory belt and leave the compressor un-used. No AC, but if you don't use you'll be fine.

good luck