General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 accord electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Default 96 accord electrical problem

So the problem I'm having is that my headlights turn on as soon as I turn the key to the first switch. then when I turn the key to the second switch the head lights go off and the left blinker starts blinking on its own. The headlights are turned off from the inside and the left blinker isn't cliked down. It does it on its own. Not long ago my car overheated but I dint know it had overheated till after I took it to the mechanics. The point is when my car wouldn't start back up I kept on trying to start It. crank but no start I kept on trying . Then smoke starting coming out the top steering wheel column. That's when the headlights wouldn't turn off unless I unplugged the battery. I have no clue what's going on.

Also one last question
I have a 2door 96 accord with manual trans f22b1 engine
I'm consediring buying a f20b engine screw rebuilding my top block
My question is if I can use my stock wiring harness on the f20b. The f20b engine doesn't come with the harness

Lol a whole essay right
Thanx for your time
Any help is highly appriciated.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The starter switch assembly may have overheated and smoke was likely some wires that were overheated. You may need to remove the steering wheel covers and inspect for permanent damage (wires shorted by melted insulation). The harness may be replaceable for that section, or you may have to perform some wiring repairs.

Don't try anything else until repairs are made. There is potential for a fire and loss of car.

I'm not much of a fan of engine swaps for 5-10 hp gain. Better to work on the engine you've got. You'll have a number of electrical problems to solve, IMO. You've seen how nasty these problems can be.

good luck

Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Out of curiosity what generation Accord do i have
And come to think about the f20b is only 199hp
Like about a 60hp gain
Id rather just go witt the h22a