General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 accord electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Angry 96 accord electrical problem.

ok so iv looked at countless threads and havent found one relating to my problem, but iv got a 96 accord lx 2.2. recently i changed out my headlights to the HID white ones. yea bad move, because since then its been a cascade of problems. it started out with my wipers and rear defroster. i was at work when i turned my lights on and on came my wipers and defroster and i couldnt turn them off so i pulled the fuse waiting for pay day till i could fix the problem. a day after that i heard some clicking coming from under my dash. i pin pointed where it was coming from but i have no idea what it is. theres a little blue box with a bunch of wires coming out of it and it has 3 what looks like black relay switches or large fuses. now im not very smart when it comes to electrical components to a car so my wording will be off. hahaha but just now when i got out of my driveway and put it in drive, as soon as i turned on the lights my car shuttered and my check engine light came on(i dont have a reader till tomorrow at the earliest so i dont no the code yet) and my green D lights went away, but they came on when i crawled back into my driveway and put it in park. ok i no this is long but thats everything that has happened, does any one have any clue as to what is going on here?? and how it can be fixed?? (either by myself or a shop?)

Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM

the headlights shouldn't matter, at most (to my knowledge and experience) you might have to provide less power to the actual lights so as to not blow the lights, considering most HID lights have a significatly lower power consumption. This would just require extra resistance at some point in the relay of power from the battery to the lights.

A lot of HID headlights are considering "plug-in-play" meaning you just install and go without worrying about complex electrical systems and making only minor changes. Of course idk what it entailed for your particular installation but those problems seem to be of a completely different sort.

Mismatched connections or damaged circuitry, honestly I would just take it somewhere for a complete electrical systems check. If you don't have the money to pay for those labor costs, and are somewhat knowledgable, buy the Haynes or Chilton book for you model and flip through the typical wiring diagrams, this could provide insight into where the problems are originating.

On those diagrams find the any switches or relays that relate to the headlights and see what they relate to.